• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i have a good OPTY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilgamesh

Opteron 148 CABNE 0528GPMW
This thing does 2.75 Ghz at default vcore 24/7 rock stable, but can't reach 2.8Ghz with 1.475 vcore anything wrong with it? seems like bumping up the voltage doesn't help but just run hotter. I really don't want to go above 1.5v as i'm running a XP90 without AS5 as this are my initial testings until i put the prommie.
I did some burn in at first it would only do 2.71 Ghz with default vcore now after few days of burnning i can do 2.75 Ghz, My goal is to reach 2.8 Ghz at default is that too much to ask?
I'm primming as i'm typing right now, does it need more burn in?

opty.jpg

Last edited:
550mhz increase at default voltage is very good, i've seen xp-90 setups hitting 3.0Ghz at XS forums
CABNE is one of the BEST opty steppings...Have fun with 'er

CABNE is basically as good as an opteron can get. They run how so once u put it under ur prommie , u will notice a considerable bump in the oc. My 146 CABNE does 2.8 ghz at 1.42V , just lapped my Big Typhoon , burning in my AS5 , then gonna give it some volt luving . BTW the load temps with Prime95 is 40C , never got it that low ever with my xp120.

ChonChon said:
you should be able to get more than that, especially with a 148 at 2.2GHz, you're aleady 200MHz ahead!
yeah thats what i was thinking at least 3.0Ghz on air but no way to get it stable. And can't figure out whats wrong. Raising the vcore don't help.

what memory do you have?
if you have good memory you may want to change the multi down to 10 and change the LDT 3x tweak some of the memory timings. but i would try a higher HTT with a lower LDT and multi...if you can push it pretty high then it may be memory or cooling causing your wall. btw memory dividers work wonders.

memory remains said:
what memory do you have?
if you have good memory you may want to change the multi down to 10 and change the LDT 3x tweak some of the memory timings. but i would try a higher HTT with a lower LDT and multi...if you can push it pretty high then it may be memory or cooling causing your wall. btw memory dividers work wonders.
I have a kit of 2Gb Mushkin Extreme Perfomance PC4000 the black series, default timings are 3-4-3-8, i'm running now 3-4-4-8 at 280 FSB diveder 9/10 LTD 3X Vcore 1.45 and not stable, but then if i lower it to around 275 FSB then works wonders. :bang head

Gilgamesh said:
I have a kit of 2Gb Mushkin Extreme Perfomance PC4000 the black series, default timings are 3-4-3-8, i'm running now 3-4-4-8 at 280 FSB diveder 9/10 LTD 3X Vcore 1.45 and not stable, but then if i lower it to around 275 FSB then works wonders. :bang head
Use an even larger RAM multiplier and keep LDT at 3x (or even lower) just to see how far your CPU will go on its own. If you still can't overclock past 2.8, then at least you know it has nothing to do with the RAM or the HTT. What are your temps like at 2.75GHz by the way?

If you set your divider to 166 divider you should be able to push the htt past 300 before you have to worry about the memory. Mine is at 312 on 166 divider and the ram speed is 255mhz. That may be your problem, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

My temps pretty much blows 50C load at default vcore 2.75ghz , still testing and stressing this cpu.

Gilgamesh said:
My temps pretty much blows 50C load at default vcore 2.75ghz , still testing and stressing this cpu.
Just make sure you keep your RAM at or below stock speed while you're testing the CPU just to make sure you're isolating the problem, if any.

Gilgamesh said:
I had the same problem with my old Opteron 144. On stock Voltage W/Ced, it ran at about 50C at 2700MHZ. Took the IHS off and bam much better temps and gained about 100MHZ or so.

Vengance_01 said:
I had the same problem with my old Opteron 144. On stock Voltage W/Ced, it ran at about 50C at 2700MHZ. Took the IHS off and bam much better temps and gained about 100MHZ or so.
Why you said "old" is your opteron still alive after shaving the IHS? i'm so affraid of doing this kind of mod specially that it will be hard to get another cabne if i kill this one.

I really wouldn't bother, especially if I were lucky enough to get a CABNE! :eek: I just don't think it's worth the risk. I bet it's your RAM, so I would just concentrate on that. But that's just me...

I think the only time I would do it is if there were something severly wrong with the heatspreader (like if it were concave or something). In that case, it's pretty useless anyway, and there's more of a justification to try something that potentially dangerous.

Gilgamesh said:
Why you said "old" is your opteron still alive after shaving the IHS? i'm so affraid of doing this kind of mod specially that it will be hard to get another cabne if i kill this one.
It was alive after I removed it, then poof no worky after that. But my temps dropped about 15C no joke :santa2: These opterons I think are very particular about heat.

I also have a 148 Opteron although mine is a CAB2E. I have it clocked at 2.8ghz with stock voltage and watercooled. I'm getting load temps of 36°C after 3hrs of prime95 and a whole night of SiSandra2005 burn in. I'm gonna try to go higher later tonight when I get home if it's still prime95 stable, has been running 6hrs now.

eljefe said:
I also have a 148 Opteron although mine is a CAB2E. I have it clocked at 2.8ghz with stock voltage and watercooled. I'm getting load temps of 36°C after 3hrs of prime95 and a whole night of SiSandra2005 burn in. I'm gonna try to go higher later tonight when I get home if it's still prime95 stable, has been running 6hrs now.
great let me know how it goes, as right now i'm still running a xp90 burnning in all day long, i've gainned couple more mhz without raising the voltage yet now at 2762mhz and deciding wether or not to put the prommie. I don't want to use the prommie and get 3.0Ghz i'm shooting at 3.4Ghz.

I'm finding out that these chips burn in very very well. Check out my thread. I'm going to burn in the rest of my chips (maybe even the CABGEs :p) and see what I can accomplish, so keep checking back, it might help you out. I'm a burning in fan now! :)

Well it seems to be stable at 2.8ghz i just stopped prime95 at just over 7hrs. I'm now going to try 2.9ghz, although I'm happy where its at right now. I'll report tmr with the results as I'm going to let prime95 run overnight.

Back