• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on spacers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=HN=- Wild9

for the socket A cpu's is it a good idea to buy a non elctrively conductive spacer to use when putting on a heatsink?
or would i just be the same off using a copper?

or better off even yet w/o one??

im not familiar with amd cpus and this will be my first tbird system i have built.

Personally I don't use spacers (shims), but I've been reading a lot about them. So I'll summarize what my feeling are about shims:

The only reason to use a shim is to protect your cpu core from getting damaged from the HSF (heatsink/fan). This could be an issue if you are the type that tinkers with the hsf a lot. It also depends on how easy it is to mount and dismount your hsf.

If you do decide to use a shim, use non-conductive (NOT copper). Many people have fried their cpus because the copper shim was not placed exactly right, or just moved a bit, and shorted out the bridges.

Hope this helps.

shims aren't a necessaity for a HSF...but for watercooling they are a HUGE insurance policy...sooooo much easier to crush a core with a waterblock.

I use one of those "nonconductive" shims..
and a Glaciator

I push my luck..and it just keeps goin :) ...never take that HSF off..never had a problem...

*one of these days....*:eek:

Back