• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

man i sure could use a bong about now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatshlink

I was just lookaround at specs of thing, and i saw a guy that had his bong cooler below ambiant. how does thos work whith no tec. could someone try to explain it to me.:confused:

The name you picked for this forum is interesting.

Concerning the bong going below ambient, here's what I've come up with.
When you have a warm object with water on it, the water evaporates and takes away heat with it. When the air around the object is still, water evaporates, but it's slowly because there's a buildup of humidity (water in the air) around the object. When the air around the object is moving, the water evaporates faster because the humid air is carried away. The humid air is replaced with drier air. The drier air is capable of holding more water vapor, which allows more of the water to evaporate, thereby allowing better cooling.
This is why, when you put a drop of water on your skin, it feels cold, and when you blow on it, it feels colder. BTW, I'm leaving out temperature differences on purpose. They make some difference, but their effect is insignificant around ambient.
Also, when you have more surface area, more evaporation can take place.
The way a bong works is by giving water a form with a maximum surface area (a bunch of little droplets) and moving them through the air (when they drop from the showerhead to the bottom). This way, the water has two major factors cooling it and gives very good results.
I hope you could understand that. If not, PM me and I'll see if I can't clear it up after a good night's sleep.

Half the fun of getting a bong is making it yourself.
BTW, how far below ambient were you talking about, the overclocker?

Every three days with straight watercooling and 1.6 GHz @ 2.06 volts. Once a day to be safe with the same chip running at 1718 MHz @2.1 volts and dual 120 watt pelts.

You don't want to breathe Water Wetter! I filter the water before it goes into the system and do a complete water change monthly to remove any residual concentrated salts. No problems to date.

As a biocide, the antibiotic erithromycin is available in tablets that treat 10 gal for 80¢ a pop. Sounds easier than a complete change monthly.

WOW, that's a nice setup. I might try something like that if I had more than a 7' ceiling in my room. I think that I've got bong envy now.

What did it cost you and how long/hard was it to build?

I'll check into the problems of inhaling erythromycin. I hope it's OK. I don't like the idea of cleaning out my system every month or so.

YMAN said:
What about chlorine?
Doesnt chlorine come in tablets?

Chlorine's pretty corrosive . . . I don't know if I'd want it coming into contact with my copper waterblock.

I don't want to inhale water wetter or erythromicin. There's only one thing I want to inhale from a bong >:]

Water??? (jk)

Is that your preference, or is it based on advice from an authority? (The dislike of erythromycin, not the other stuff.)

Well, I don't think it's ever good practice to ingest medecine without a prescription, espeically since it comes from a pet store and is probably veterenarian grade . . .

IdeaMagnate said:

WOW, that's a nice setup. I might try something like that if I had more than a 7' ceiling in my room. I think that I've got bong envy now.

What did it cost you and how long/hard was it to build?

Thanks. I think I have about $70 bucks in it. The valves and couplers added up real fast. This does not count the fans. I already had a whole bunch of them.

I believe total time is about four or five hours. This includes tuning the height for optimum cooling.

IdeaMagnate said:
I'll check into the problems of inhaling erythromycin. I hope it's OK. I don't like the idea of cleaning out my system every month or so.

Even if you use a biocide or a safe five drops of Clorox per gallon of water, you need to flush your system monthly. As the water evaporates, the disolved minerals will concentrate and eventually plug up your waterblock. Flushing the system is easy. Just let the pump do the work while the showerhead is placed in a suitable container.

Back