• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GOOD games can a GF4 MX420 play?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Dug out my old crap and threw a box together...1.8a P4 @ 2.4, 512mb, GF4 MX420 OC'ed quite heavily, I was wondering what games it can play-play, not run (at like 10fps). I know the old HL/CS/DoD will run well, what about new(er) games like UT2k4? etc.

Newer games don't support those cards anymore, people with Ti cards are starting to have trouble with newer games because of lack of support and not performance issues.

Yeah, I know, Pixel Shaders is what these cards lack. I'm simply asking for just about any game in general ^^

UT2004 should be fine at 1024x768 even at higher detail levels, my brother had it running on a Palomino 1700, 256 MB RAM and an MX420 and it looked fine.
CnC Generals or Rome: Total War should run OK on lower quality settings.
Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam, Joint Ops
Wolfenstein: ET

i played UT2003 on my 32mb Geforce2 GTS-V overclocked with athlonXP at 2100mhz and a gig of ram at 200fsb in 1024x768, it was fine except in the largest maps with many players in which there was bad lag when the action started

Half life
Worms 2
Starcraft
Planescape Torment
Fallout
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Unreal Tournament

I would post over in the games section though

Hmm...alot of good games. I didnt think of posting it in the game section but oh wells, I got alot of good responces here. The CPU is a 1.8a @ 2.4 (18x133). I've mounted some stock cooling from a Quadro 4 on it and it seems to cool it quite well, I reformatted the box and got it ready but the sound card driver killed the install. Starwars Battlefront is built on the Battlefield engine, think it will run on my GF4?

What DX version does that card support? I can't remember? I have an old Ti500 on a backup 2.0Ghz system. It's nothing pitiful or anything by no means, but it won't play alot of the gamnes because of lack of the latest DX support.

Mines, Solitare? phhht, c'mon guys, the guy is asking a serious question.

Sadly it only supports DX 7 - I'm thinking about getting a cheap 9700/9800pro from the classifieds for the rig.

If you're into RPGs, then Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights might be an excellent choice for you.

SNES roms can never get old, either.

My gf4mx440 ran WoW... almost the exact same specs as ur computer cept a slightly slower cpu :p

and yes, wow was playable, but a wee bit laggy, around 20-25 fps on almost lowest settings

Hmm I'm liking all this. The GF4 series sure was a beast.

2k3/2k4 are definately playable.. my gf4mx4000 (64bit mem.. held it back quite a bit) ran it fine (40-60fps) on my AXP2000+ @ 2.2ghz and generic 2*512mb DDR400.. i dont see why most games wont run on it. (of course games like FEAR and stuff, but yeah.. im guessing youre not going to want to play FEAR on that pc lol).. having said that, the DX7 is a real holdback.. benches are pretty much unrunable, but hey

Careface*

Depends on what DirectX it supports anyways my mate had one with DX9 support he could play C&C Generals/Zero Hour, Dungeon Siege, Unreal T2004 he even said that it could play FarCry thou I never saw it in action.

Back