• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon2500+ what can it do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Howdy all, I am getting ready to re-furb another board..this time an Athlon skt A board and I have a 2500+ on it.

Having never messed with Athlons, I don't know what this chip will and should do as far as mhz.

So what should I expect, and how high will the temps go on these b4 they crap out?
This one will probably be my next server, or "old game" rig for running old games that refuse to run on XP and above, like Combat Flight sim, or Quake II.
If I can get it stable and pretty enough, I might even sell it (after I play for a while).

So whaddya think? Is this a good clocker on average? is it worth the trouble?
Thanks in advance,
Doc

Edit: I also have a 2000+ to play with as well so any info would be most appreciated Edit:

You've given us almost no information to go on. How about make and model of motherboard and model # of CPU. CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Motherboard" "Memory" and "SPD" screenshots uploaded with your next post would be helpful.

Obviously, the info in your sig is for another system.

If it is not an nVidia chipset your options are fairly limited other than the clock gen. Honestly I have lost drives that did not like the BUS being clocked high.

Uh Yea, I knew I forgot something...the board I plan using is an Abit KD7 Raid with all the options that enthusiast boards of the day had. I just have no idea as to what to expect from this old chip.
And to Trents, I cannot run CPU-Z till I refurb the board and get it up and running...right now, I'm just waiting on the snailman for my capacitors to get here.
I need some good ddr400, been looking at prices and the list of BH5 and other "killer" ddr modules, and they are getting reasonably priced now.
I just want some info so I can jump right in and start clocking.
I have been with Intel since the PII so all the Athlons are new to me...so it will be a slight learning curve.
Thks fer the replies,
Doc

One thing you can give us now is the CPU model number. That would tell us what core it has: Barton? Palomino? It would be on the CPU face and would be a code something like this: ADX620WFK42GI

Be sure to post codes from the cpu and we can tell you what to expect from the cpu.

Then type of ram

then mobo, yours is via chipset so no PCI lock but there is room for oc.

Ok, I decided to pull the H.S. (after you asked, I couldn't stand it) so the chip is an
AXDA2500DKV4D
AQXFA 0346XPMW

So I assume it is a 2003 week 46 but with "XPMW" does this mean it is a moble chip?

BTW, the H.S. is a big copper Thermaltake Silent Boost that is very clean... no dust in it. Could be that the heatsink was bought as a last resort to get the computer stable...the board has 15 bad caps to be replaced

Ok, I decided to pull the H.S. (after you asked, I couldn't stand it) so the chip is an
AXDA2500DKV4D
AQXFA 0346XPMW

So I assume it is a 2003 week 46 but with "XPMW" does this mean it is a moble chip?

BTW, the H.S. is a big copper Thermaltake Silent Boost that is very clean... no dust in it. Could be that the heatsink was bought as a last resort to get the computer stable...the board has 15 bad caps to be replaced

It's a desktop chip.

If the OPN on it's label read AXMA2500DKV4D, that would indicate a mobile but since yours has a "D" for it's third character, it's a desktop chip. It's also a 166 chip with the "D" at the end of the character string showing this.
To clarify, C = 133, D = 166, E = 200MHz.

The stepping you have isn't the best but the date is good at least. I'd have to say probrably 2.4 - 2.5GHz in the right board as a max you could expect from it.

The data right after the date being 0346XPMW is simply the batch code from when it was made and I don't believe it signifies anything else.

He has a desktop CPU, not a mobile. Locked at 11.
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

Get voltage up to 1.8-1.85 if cooling can handle it.

oc will depend on RAM. IF PC3200 and since mobo has no PCI lock, if if you cant do 200 FSB then doing 190-something is what you're looking at to be safe.

He is locked at 11, there is no way he can do 2.4 since 220 FSB is highly unlikely.

He is locked at 11, there is no way he can do 2.4 since 220 FSB is highly unlikely.

220 for that chip is unlikely and was stating a possible max it could do in the right board with great cooling too. I'd guess about 210 to 215 is the limit on that one.
I do have a 3000+ Sempron that can hit 222 on the bus with the right cooling but that's hitting it HARD to make it do so.
I've noted chips with a 166 rating don't do as well as others will. Even the 133 chips (Mobiles) can and normally do better.

Don't expect much. I had an 1800XP, a 2600 and a 3000. Most were not great OCers except for a few exceptions. The Barton 2500 has a stock 166 fsb if I recall or is it 200? U can oc it to perhaps 10% or so. I still have my 2600 and 3000 working. They are dogs compared with what's out there today but with 500mb ram+ they can run Win XP and do desktop work. If you enjoy the repair work, go for it but remember for $150 you can get a decent MB and Athlon 2 CPU that will rock. Also that older ram can sometimes be expensive. Seems the key is to get free old parts like a free 40 gig HD and some free RAM and maybe an IDE Burner and some junky case w/ PS.

Thanks Everybody for the info, I now have a pretty good idea what to expect.
So far the only money I have into it is $17.00 for new Rubycon caps. The board, CPU, mem and TT heatsink were free.
I have some Buffalo ddr 400 (CH-5 :( ) to get it booting and OS loading till I can get some good ddr 400. I will need to research the mem a bit, as there were some very good ram chips, like BH-5 and BH-6 and the Samsung TCCC and I think Hynix made some good chips too.
I remember reading about this stuff and dreaming what it must be like to use DDR when Frankenputer only used sdram, and I remember everybody talking about BH-5 being the best, so that purchase will be a while down the road while I read thru some old threads.
Thanks again Everybody...it should be fun
Doc

Thanks Everybody for the info, I now have a pretty good idea what to expect.
So far the only money I have into it is $17.00 for new Rubycon caps. The board, CPU, mem and TT heatsink were free.
I have some Buffalo ddr 400 (CH-5 :( ) to get it booting and OS loading till I can get some good ddr 400. I will need to research the mem a bit, as there were some very good ram chips, like BH-5 and BH-6 and the Samsung TCCC and I think Hynix made some good chips too.
I remember reading about this stuff and dreaming what it must be like to use DDR when Frankenputer only used sdram, and I remember everybody talking about BH-5 being the best, so that purchase will be a while down the road while I read thru some old threads.
Thanks again Everybody...it should be fun
Doc

Hynix made the BH-5 and CH-5 chips but BH-5 is what you'd want from the two if you can give them the voltage, normally these don't start going until you can give them 3.3v's or more. Samsung TCCD RAM is probrably your best bet in about anything you would have, these can do really good clocks with no more than 2.9v's needed. TCCD sticks hate higher voltages while BH-5 sticks love it. I believe there were some Infinion chipped DDR sticks too, OCZ 1GB platinums being one that woudl have it if any and these with the right timings and volts will do well too. I also believe these can do well with about 3.0v's or so, no real need to mega-volt them like you'd do BH-5 sticks. You can think of these as between the BH-5's and TCCD sticks regarding voltages needed.

My 1 Gb XMS BE-5's aren't half-bad either. I've had them up to just over 260 MHz at 3-2-3-6 with 2.85v. Didn't test higher than that so I have no idea how far they'll go ...

260!!! :drool:

The thing with some of this old hardware is they're nearing their time expected before failure, nowadays when I open up Athlon XP boxes, it's almost a given that something will give out during any 'upgrades' I try to install.

I have Thermalright heatsinks on all of them, PCI locks and the overclocks are just not what they used to be.

Realistic expectation for him imho is much closer to 2.2 then anything higher but we'll see. If I were a betting man, I'd wager 2.1.

I have one that still runs up to 2.6-7ish it is an old tbred b. Great CPU and TBH for most things you just cant tell the difference between it and a new CPU. The one thing you can get with those old processors is a real snappy feel because with a cas 2 the reads are there and with normal files the transfer rate is irrelavent.

Back