• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Deltaco fan splitter warning? What does it mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuantumCookie

Registered
I need a PWM fan splitter. I was under the impression that such a PWM splitter would work with all connected fans by clever wiring, but.. reading the labeling here, it sort of sounds like you only get one PWM fan connected as PWM, while the other two fans, eh, don't.

What is going on here?

Edit: I guess logically, the warning is about the 'sensing', so the fan splitter puts out the same voltage to all the three fans anyway?

What would be the point of specifying this as such, as if being a warning?

Edit: Oh wait, I am stupid. It literally says "RPM sensing". For a moment I guess I thought it read as "PWM sensing". :(

fh.JPG

Looking at the wiring in the photo, it looks to be labeled wrong. Each fan appears to have a PWM wire, but they can't combine the RPM sense lines, so it will only report the speed of one fan.

It should work fine as long as you don't overload the connector.

I think now the warning, is so that, if you connect fans with different rpm's only one of them will have it's RPM monitored in the bios.
I must have had a difficult time reading the text in the photo, mistakenly thinking RPM was to read PWM. :)

So not a relevant problem about powering the fans, but failing to notice that this was about the one and only sensor detecting only fan speed of just one PWM fan.

Unless you're using the same model fan across the board, each fan will get the same PWM pulse frequency but that won't make them run at the same speed.

Last edited:
Some of my setups I'm to believe the different fans and also combinations of 4 pin n 3 pin , the 3 pin fan/header defaults to full speed.
So option to get an aux. 4 pin hub that converts the 3 pin voltage control to the desired rpms?

Most aftermarket enthusiast class motherboards allow you to control the fan pinouts with either PWM or voltage. Voltage would be used to control the speed of 3 pin fans but will not allow throttling as much as PWM because of impedance. PWM gives a full 12 volt shot but in pulses to overcome the impedance then controls the speed by varying the frequency of the pulses. So, you might move your 3 pin fans over to motherboard headers to give you some measure of speed control.

Back