• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a PSU for a 7-series Nvidia!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanmartini

Well I am the proud owner of a new XFX 7800GT Extreme Edition. The card looks completely badass. It is saying my PSU idnt delivering enough power, so i underclocked it a fair amount to get me through. [Recommended by Nvidia]

Now I am in no ways made of money. Can anyone recommend me a solid PSU to run my system ?

Thanks,

Ryan

Note: Everything is running at stock. Trying to conserve energy.

DeepScience said:
I had to move up to an OCZ 520 Powerstream to get things running well.

Suresly a 100$+ psu cant be the only answer.

Anything for around 70-80$ ?

Ill run the pc non oc'ed if I have to.

My experience with sub-$70 PSU's has been pretty bad all due to weak 12v rails. My Athena Power 500W 12v rail was rated at 28A but kept dipping down to 11.4V and making my video card take a dump. The OCZ PowerStream is definitely worth the money. It's a lot to put out for one PSU, but it's the last one you'll need.

the fortron is the best lowest cost PSU out there. i upgraded to a OCZ for the simple reason that this psu has one powerfull 12v rail and it carries a 5yr warrenty
well worth the extra $$$ imo
esp if you can afford to pump out $4-500 for a video card

Kind of a thread jack but your already talking about 7800gts and PSU's. Do you think the AX500-A would be enough for DFI Ultra-D, 3000 venice(will be overclocked to about 2.4-2.5), XFX or EVGA 7800gt, 7 case fans, 2 80gig hd's and 1 dvd drive.

Yes, most probably, unless the fans are some 200cfm monsters, and even then you might be alright.

I'm a big believer in having the BEST possible PSU for what you are running now and for future consideration. Spend the bucks and get the best PSU you can get your hands on.

I've noticed a trend with the OCZ's...Once a person owns one, they recomed them highly, because those that own them know.

It is true. After you own one of these, it;s the only one you'll need for a long time.

Just remember the first thing that gets nailed when a PSU goes...your video card.

I have never understood how 100 dollars can be too much to spend on a 2000 dollar + system.

If I had to, I'd spend 250 dollars or more for the kind of quality they are putting out, but I don't have to thank god.

A system starts with the PSU, and then the mobo...everything after that you have to judge how much you want to spend. If you want to spend the big bucks on the VC, it's a smart move to protect it, and give your system all the power it needs or ever will need.

You can't overpower a system, but you sure can underpower one. I've also seen testaments to th fact that OCZ's protection circuitry works very well. One guy was having issue and clicked the thing off multiple times because of shorts or something wrong with the system. The unit and his hardware were undamaged. Right there, that unit paid for itself.

3DFlyer said:
I've noticed a trend with the OCZ's...Once a person owns one, they recomed them highly, because those that own them know.

Well it's a little different open the box and suddenly see dual shielded cables (actually you can't see the second layer beneath the braided one) with individual LC filters with capacitors and ferrite beads on all the main cables and then the fact that the voltage doesn't seem to drop noticably when you turn things on and that suddenly all your random reboots stop happening...

AND THE GREEN LIGHT... oooOOOOoo ahhh

:D

DeepScience said:
Well it's a little different open the box and suddenly see dual shielded cables (actually you can't see the second layer beneath the braided one) with individual LC filters with capacitors and ferrite beads on all the main cables and then the fact that the voltage doesn't seem to drop noticably when you turn things on and that suddenly all your random reboots stop happening...

Agreed. Go OCZ

DeepScience said:

I my self didnt want to dump the 200 bux for the 600watt sli but i did and i dont regret it at all. it is the best psu i have bought so far and the blue light is nice

Dfi-Boy said:
I my self didnt want to dump the 200 bux for the 600watt sli but i did and i dont regret it at all. it is the best psu i have bought so far and the blue light is nice

I just did the same. I had my choice set on the PC Power @ Cooling 510 SLI, so I had planned on spending about that much anyways.

Dfi-Boy said:

err, the recommended one around here most often is the 520 and not the 600. The 600 doesn't seem to hold up as well and is dual rail instead of a robust single rail with high current capacity.

Another vote for the powerstream 520. I am absolutely in love with this PSU and plan to order another soon for my second rig. You can't beat the rock solid adjustable rails nor the fine look.

Back