• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsinks IHS/non IHS fit...XP90,SLK 948u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleeper

Registered
Have I got this right...If I have a desktop cpu that has an IHS (Like a Sempron) I can only use the XP90 HS, but if I have a DTR or Mobile A64 that doesn't have a IHS, I must use the SLK 948u HS?
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new setup, and may start off with a 2800 Sempron, but may want to upgrade later to a Mobile. Can the XP90 be modded to fit properly on a non IHS chip, or can the 948 be made to fit the lidded chip without crushing it? I have narrowed my choices down to these two HS's, and dont want to have to buy twice.

Thanks
Paul

Sleeper said:
Have I got this right...If I have a desktop cpu that has an IHS (Like a Sempron) I can only use the XP90 HS, but if I have a DTR or Mobile A64 that doesn't have a IHS, I must use the SLK 948u HS?
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new setup, and may start off with a 2800 Sempron, but may want to upgrade later to a Mobile. Can the XP90 be modded to fit properly on a non IHS chip, or can the 948 be made to fit the lidded chip without crushing it? I have narrowed my choices down to these two HS's, and dont want to have to buy twice.

Thanks
Paul

i dont understadn why you would have to mod it. i had an xp90 on a mobile chip and it was fine. i had the +3200 DTR and it ran 25 degree celc idle and 29 load. just make sure you are careful when putting on the xp90 and do not scratch the top of the bare processor. but other than that, you should be fine.

You can use different HSs other than the XP90 for IHS CPUs.

And I HAVE heard that you can use the 4xx (w/e the numbers u said are) on an IHS-less mobile AMD. I'd double check though.

Aidenswarrior said:
i dont understadn why you would have to mod it. i had an xp90 on a mobile chip and it was fine. i had the +3200 DTR and it ran 25 degree celc idle and 29 load. just make sure you are careful when putting on the xp90 and do not scratch the top of the bare processor. but other than that, you should be fine.

Reason being the XP90 isn't designed (well the mounting mechanism....and the pressure of it) for no IHS...that's a fair amount of missing space.

Aidenswarrior
I was just doing some searching, and came across the info. Basically it said that because the IHS type chips are thicker than the DTR's, the clamping force of a given HS mechanism will be different when used on the two types of chips, and there is a risk of crushing the chip if the HS was designed for a non IHS chip . Also the reverse of not having good enough contact to transfer the heat is a concern, when a IHS style HS is used on a non IHS chip. I wasn't sure if this was theory or reality. Thanks for your first hand experience.

jcw122
I know I have a lot of different choices for HS's, but after a lot of reading... these two came out on top as my choices for what I am putting together.

Input from any other first hand experiences is appreciated.

Paul

Back