• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

Hey Guys,

I know very little about wireless stuff... but I am getting a laptop (comes tomorrow) and my bro has one... so we are going to set a network up...

I am looking to spend about 80 bucks max for a a router (laptops have built in)... I want speed most of all... but range is prefered...

B or G?
MIMO or no?

What are your recommendations?

Price is also important!

Jdrake90

Get a wrt54gs or wrt54g, you definetaly want a G...and I have pretty good range with mine.

p.s. what lap-top?

I'll second the G routers. As for MIMO routers.. they're still expensive, and you'll need to get the MIMO cards if you want to use the MIMo functionality. =T

Make sure your router has a removable antenna, then when your not happy with your range you can upgrade it. Seems most routers come with about 2dbi antennas because their cheap and suffice to seel the product. Been looking at increasing range for the last couple of weeks and one major point is you need to be able to change the antenna.
I'm running a D-link DI-624 with super G, Netgear 108mbs laptop card. I alway get 54mbs around home and when close to the router I manage the 108mbs, or so say's my software. I travel lot and this card has worked great for two years practicaly24/7.

Back