• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about BEST High End build currently for gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeneeth

Hello there,

I will be finally building the PC of my dreams meant for gaming + streaming (plus future proofing as I always do) and would like some solid recommendations on it since I am not familiar with a lot of new tech information on the matter currently.
My budget will be about 5000 euros (including a 4k, low MS + high HZ monitor in the budget but leave out any other peripherals).

I will be hitting an RTX 4090 for example. But not sure which brand or model to go for , same for MOBO, RAM and PSU... for CPU I ll be going for 13900K (not sure KS is worth the difference but throw in an idea on that too). Not sure about which NVMe either, was considering maybe WD Black SN850X but open to recommendations. I am also completely in the dark about a casing that has good, proper cooling and possibly slots / supporting hydrocooling in case I decide to install in the future.

Thank you in advance for your time :)

Your best bet is going to be reviews, reviews reviews. A lot of the reading and research you'll have to do on your own. As far as board manufacturers (motherboard and GPU) people will have preferences based on their experience with support, QC or the offerings for a certain generation, but overall performance will be indistinguishable.

Is this your first time building a PC?

Some advice, don't overlook the PSU and the case. The ease of your build will be dependent on the features of the case, to some extent, as will cooling. For PSU's, quality is more important than watt rating, so an 850w top tier is going to serve you better than an 1000w low tier model (you can also use a calculator like this https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, but generally a high end 850w is the lowest I would recommend for that system). If you're planning to frequently max out both the GPU and CPU simultaneously it would be theoretically possible to over load an 850w, it's unlikely in real world use.

The 13900k is as challenge to cool, even with a 360mm AIO, so unless you are interested in custom cooling, my gut tells me you won't get much out of the KS. Again though, your best bet here is to look at reviews.

To give you a better idea you can check out this list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/Rd2Ff7/glorious-intel-gamingstreaming-build. The only thing I would question here is the case, as there are possibly better options in that style like the Hyte Y60 or one of the Lian LI 011 models. It's also large and getting a smaller case that you can place on your desk vs a huge one that has to sit on the floor sucking up dust is definitely preferableIMHO. You can certainly find some mid towers with good mesh front intakes that can support a 4090 and 360mm cooler, however be sure to check compatibility for GPU length and height (can use CPU cooler height for GPU height, with a margin of 5-10mm) and also ensure it will fit your cooler (initially looking for a 360mm AIO compatibility but prior to purchase you want to verify the actual measurements for both the case and the cooler if able).

For the motherboard, it is easy to spend a bunch of money on a board that has everything, but you can also focus on the features you need: how many PCIe lanes, M.2 slots, USB connectors of various types, onboard audio you intend to use and spend less there. Just verify that the board supports overclocking if that's something you want to do and has adequate power delivery for the 13900k, plus the features you desire.

EDIT: I forgot the mention the M.2, I'm thinking any PCIe Gen 4 drive is fine for most use these days, if you like the WD Black it's definitely a fine choice.

I would suggest a lower end GPU like a 4070 Ti at half the cost. It is so easy to upgrade that part. Do it next year if needed.
Also a high end 1440 monitor with a high Hz instead of 4K. I found 1440 with 144 Hz or more, (Plus 34" ultra wide curved) was better for gaming.

For an NVMe drive, I'd go with a Samsung 990 Pro - whatever size you think you'd need.

I'd also second the high Hz 1440p display with GSync. A single card, even a 4090 will have trouble at 4K at triple digit framerates, and I've become a strong supporter of high FPS with adaptive vsync over raw resolution.

A single card, even a 4090 will have trouble at 4K at triple digit framerates,
Define trouble..... :)

I'd say about half the titles reach that threshold with 4K Ultra settings (no RT of course). But, for sure a sweetspot is 2560x1440 165Hz+... A 4090 pounds through that.

EDIT: I'd look more towards the 27-28" 2560x1440 165Hz+ as I like the increased pixel density over 1920x1080 24". Curved monitors look cool, but, they aren't my thing. 34" at 2560x1440 feels like way too low of a pixel density when you're used to the same number over 28" space (it's lower than 1920x1080 24"). You'll have to put yourself in front of them to see what you feel is best for you.

average-fps-3840-2160.png

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was on OCF.

You should check it out sometime. They actually aim to max out their video settings (says the guy still rocking a 2080...)
That's Ultra settings.

RT is an option (and not on all games). If you can/choose to run RT (for what its worth), it's with DLSS recapturing most of the frame loss.. so.... there's that. But facts... max out using RT and no DLSS is trouble.

Edit: where did the post I quoted go? Lol

Define trouble..... :)

I'd say about half the titles reach that threshold with 4K Ultra settings (no RT of course). But, for sure a sweetspot is 2560x1440 165Hz+... A 4090 pounds through that.

EDIT: I'd look more towards the 27-28" 2560x1440 165Hz+ as I like the increased pixel density over 1920x1080 24". Curved monitors look cool, but, they aren't my thing. 34" at 2560x1440 feels like way too low of a pixel density when you're used to the same number over 28" space (it's lower than 1920x1080 24"). You'll have to put yourself in front of them to see what you feel is best for you.

View attachment 361277
Anything less than 34" is like looking at a postage stamp...IMHO. :cheers:
The amount you can see extra (Over a 27") on a game like cyberpunk 2077 is fantastic.

I think it depends on the genre of game too. Fps you want things right in front of you where your eyes don't want, nor have the time to, wander.

I found 32" 16:9 about max so I won't have to move my head. I was checking some games on 55" 4K/120hz TV, and it's just too large to play comfortable while sitting closer. Anything from wide/ultra wide 34"+ series felt a bit too wide while the height wasn't enough. Literally it felt like a x1.5 of 24" 1080p monitor. I get the point of ultra wide monitors for simulators, or office work, but for everything else it's meh.

Back