• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX5200 Driver Issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

I got my 128MB PCI FX5200 from the UPS guy the other day, but I haven't been able to get it to work in windows. It WILL work in the BIOS/POST (assuming the video bios setting is set to PCI), but after the Windows loading screen with that green bar that moves back and forth, the screen just goes black and stays that way. My onboard video, however, still works just fine, which has led me to believe that it's a driver issue. I have tried installing the drivers from the CD as well as nVidia's latest forceware, and neither work. So please, can someone find a way to fix this problem? I'm sick of this onboard video. I can't game with it (although what did I expect from a $350 emachine?) and it's eating my memory bandwidth.

hate to say it man.. 5200 is probably the worst card made in my opinion.. my geforce3 64mb ran games much smoother.. you should look at a diff card if i were you. As far as the driver issues go, im not sure what the problem is, try downloading the latest drivers and installing them with onboard or a diff video card.. then use your 5200.

It could be a PSU issue I tried to install a very very old Hercules XT4000 32mb PCI card on a old motherboard with a Duron 850. It powered past post to the Windows Scroll bar screen and stopped won't load the log on screen. The PSU was a 240watt I upgraded to a 400watt and it works ok it even powers a 2nd optical drive now.

As I installed a brand new CD-RW and put the old CD-ROM in as a slave works fine now.

wait, so your onboard works when ur PCI card is in it? if thats the case then go into windows and manually disable your onboard or under settings in the display properties, make ur PCI card the primary device. kinda a bad explanation but this may be ur problem: windows is not using ur PCI card as the default video adapter.

Only reason I bought the 5200 was b/c I needed SOMETHING cheap to get rid of the onboard video. Then a week later newegg ditched the 5200 and lowered the 5500 to the old price of the 5200. Meh... not like my mom lets me play video games during the school year... *coughcough* Anyway, I'll try making the PCI the default device. Pretty sure it's not the PSU since if it was my comp would be crashing.

Edit: Yes, that actually was the problem o_o

Last edited:
Back