• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is D-Link Gamer DGL-4300 really worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

I currently have 1 ethernet and 2 wireless hooked up to my SBC 2Wire 1701HG DSL modem. I'm wondering if getting that D-Link DGL-4300 would really boost speeds, especially since gaming goes on pretty often, I know it sorta "dedicates" bandwidth to a certain thing or something, but would it be worth it to upgrade over my current wireless modem? It's about $127 cheapest at zzf.

Hm, then it does sound like a waste, it's either upgrade to the D-Link router or stick with what I have, I'll look up some more things.

its just a router with QoS already setup for gaming

dig an old computer out of the trash and setup a smoothwall then add the QoS mod...

its better, faster, and way cheaper

Has any more people bought this particular router? My Netgear just fried from a firmware upgrade since it started to drop the connection every few days and need a restart.

I tried the D-link DI634M and it is a piece of xxxx. Felt like molases from my cable connection.

I am looking for something that can handle heavy BT traffic and stable in that it does not need to be restarted every week.

Any personal experience welcome. I read the review but what it tells me is that it is a good router if it works. What it does not tell me is that how it held up a few months to a year down the line.

bchur83 said:
Not worth it IMO. Get something like a Linksys WRT54G.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you can find an old one (v4 or less), they're quite crap.

Unless you get their more expensive Linux version. Thats the only one you get if you want to use third-party firmware

I use the 4100 for hosting a game server and nothing can beat it without serious work. Plus it fits on my laundry room shelf, and I couldn't do that with a smoothwall machine without spending cash on smaller components. With this router, QoS keeps my FTP and general traffic from slowing down the game server clients, and that is exactly what I was looking for. I power cycle it maybe once every 6 months, but that is due to cable screwups usually.

Back