• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed, can't install win xp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Francesco2

Registered
Ok, here is my system

A64 3200 venice, DFI Infinity NF4, Shappire X800 Gto Fireblade, 2x512 PC3200 DDR RAM, Maxtor 160gb PATA 133

And here is my problem:

I simply can't install win xp, I boot from cdrom, then format the HD and copy the files on it ( this seems to work ), then the pc is rebooted this time from HD to complete installation... well it can't boot.. saying "error loading operating system"

The hd is not the problem, I tryed to install win xp on it with my other pc and it works, I also tryed a different installation cd.. with no luck.

I think the problem is on the mobo.. maybe some bios settings.. it's driving me crazy I need your help

i was repairing an old computer for a client of sorts. This same error poped up and it ended up being the hard drive that was bad. You say your sure its not the hard drive so i hope you get the problem working right

Yes I'm 100% sure it's not an HD problem.. I also tryed with 3 differtent IDE HDs ... always the same problem! Too bad I have not a sata hd here to test maybe with sata I would have better luck :-/

The boot sequence is the correct one.. and no it's not overclocked, I already tried to load safe/fail default settings.. but still the same problem..

I have found a friend that will borrow me a sata hd.. I'll try with that and maybe I'll have better luck

..my old harddrive used to do that everytime i tried to isntall winxp on it..same error and stuff..bought another harddrive and it worked fine.....now the funny thing is...the harddrive plugs into the computer i'm on right now and works for storage without any problems....only thing i did was change the jumper settings on the harddrive itself....maybe it's worth a try..going from CS to MASTER or vice versa...but even doing that didn't help with the previous predicament.

Ok, I foud out that if I disable "IDE DMA transfer acces" in the bios my hd is able to boot windows.. unfortunataly this setting gives an huge drop the system performances.. my hd now is really really slow.

With the sata hd I have no problem, I'll use it for now.

I've been having the exact same problem for the past 3 weeks or so. I just gave up and got a new IDE HD, and that one works fine, along with my SATA drive.

Back