• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my Asus X800 Pro (AGP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamaro85

Registered
Hey guys,

I don't even know where to begin with trying to push this thing with OCing. I'm doing really well with OCing just about everything else in my system, but really am clueless with this.

I've used ATITool to push it from its stock clocks (475/450) to 522/549.

I'm seeing in results collections that people are pushing theirs to as far as 660/605, and I'm wondering what the hell I am doing wrong! These guys aren't messing with pipemodding or anything, so they have the default 12 pipes.

Please help a noob out. I know I should be able to get at least a little more as compared to what others are getting!

It really depends on what cooling you're using on your card. If you're just going with the stock air cooling you won't be able to push it as far as you would with WC, etc. Additionally, some memory and cores can be pushed higher than others. It really just depends on the particular card. You may have just gotten unlucky, but you should probably look into an aftermarket cooler if you haven't already.

Your memory overclock is pretty decent for that card as it is though.

for AGP, you have the right clock. 600+ club is for people with PCI-E. I own both cards and my PCI-E OC very high while my AGP sits at 520/550 with aftermarket cooling. So yes, you didn't do anything wrong. :)

AGP uses 420 core = sucky for OC while PCI-E uses 423 Core, which is good for OC; if I remember correctly. :)

I guess you're probably talking about my old card, lol. Had it at 660/600 or so on air and its new owner is clocking it even higher on water. A big part of it is luck of the draw. I was lucky enough to have it doing 590/530 completely stock. Then, I raised the TRP in ATiTool to 6, and it got me up to 590/590. This is a tweak you can try yourself. It seems to help dramatically when you've got real slow memory like I did, but helps some people more than others.

Then, I added this cooler to it.

DSCN0079.JPG

I don't remember exactly where that put me, around 620MHz core or so.

Then the final kicker to shove the memory up 30MHz and the core about 50MHz; all three of the volt-mods shown here. I prefer the resistor mods, but the pencil mods are safe, easy and just as effective. They are more of a headache though when you're trying to fine-tune.

Hopefully that sheds a little light on how I got my card pushing clocks like that. It wasn't anything difficult, but it did take plenty of modding and tuning beyond stock. Your clocks are definitely respectable for the card being completely stock.

Back