• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rails low after new mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

My motherboard went bad so i rma'd it and got a new one. But now my 12v rail which used to be at 12.20v is at 11.84v, 5v was at 4.945v and now its at 4.865v. Whats happening? Everything is in sig.

How are you measuring these numbers? If you're using the motherboard's reported values, that is probably the problem, they tend to vary between mobos. If you're using a voltmeter or multimeter, or whatever they're called, then I have no idea.

Are you reading this from the mb program like mbm5 or from a meter on the plug? If yo uare using BIOS or a program test it with a volt meter, you will probably find there is nothing wrong.

if you're using the onboard sensors, they are pretty inaccurate. Even a bios update can alter them in a positive/negative way. I would take the other's advice and use a digital multimeter.

Everytime I've measured an Asus board, I've found the difference to be about 2% from the onboard sensors vs multimeter. That may not sound like much but when the standard is 5% deviance, it means something.

I have hooked up the exact same power supply to 3 different motherboards and had my 12v rail reported between 11.4volts and 12.2volts with the voltage reporting software.

Unfortunatly you just can't trust the voltage readings nor the temperature readings from bios or the software monitor programs.

Any kind of mobo sensor- temp or voltage- is notoriously inaccurate. A multimeter is your friend, even a cheap one. (At least you get consistent reading in different systems.)

One possibility that is not often mentioned is a loose psu connection to the mobo.
If the atx (and aux or whatever connector is around!) is too loose it can add resistance, reducing the voltage that gets to the motherboard.

Well i dont think anything is loose in it because i just had all the parts put back in my case but i will check again. I do have a multi-meter, but which plugs on one of my molex connectors do i plug the red and black into? And what setting should the multimeter be at, also is it DC or AC?

Back