• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system burn-in. HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trimble

Registered
Ok, I just assembled the parts for my wife's new computer.

Shuttle ST20G5
Ath64 3200+
1 gig mushkin
250 Sata WD HD
(the x800pro has yet to arrive, but onboard video is working ok)

I want to run burn-in to ensure all parts are stable (or return any defects while still returnable). I've reviewed the stability tests thread in another forum, and intend to test CPU and RAM now, and 3D when the video card arrives...

However, do I need to burn-in an HD? if so, what is an appropriate test for HD stability testing?

Also:
I've installed winXP on it for now to prove to her that everything runs, but I've noticed that if I suspend the power, when it comes out of suspend, the NIC doesn't seem to reconnect to my network. Her old machine had the same problem. I thought it was the port on my netgear router causing the issue, but I moved her to another port (used by a machine that did NOT have this problem and it still seems to be happening. Is there a bios or lan card driver setting that I might have screwed up? is this something that could be caused by the system? The only software left running during suspend is MSN Messenger 7.5 and the system drivers. Messenger typically recovers from sleep just fine on my other machines, but not hers. wtf? When hers wakes up, she has no connection, and can't even 'repair' the network connection - DHCP cannot be found. unplugging adn connecting the nic doesn't solve it.

There's no need to burn in your hard drive, in all this overclocking madness, the hard drive remains completely unmodified.

I don't know about your network problem. Is "Wake on LAN" anything to do with that?

There's no such thing as HDD burn-in or any much form of reliability testing, but what you can do is find a program that will scan for Bad Sectors (Western Digital should have such a program on thier website, or just Google for Bad Sector Scanner or similar.

About the NIC problem, it may lie in some sort of BIOS settings, I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff about Suspending Power and NICs in my BIOS.

Back