• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard circuitry messed up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most laptop keyboards are removable and replaceable. See if you can find directions online to remove yours.

edit: the fact that keys think they are other keys does not bode well. See if you can find a place to buy a replacement keyboard. Or, you could try to buy a dead similar laptop off of ebay and harvest the keyboard.

It is usually possible to replace keyboards on laptops. I know this because I've done it multiple times. The hard part is figuring out how to take it apart and finding a replacement keyboard.

take it apart, it will be much easier to clean and properly take care of. there is probably a manual online that will have it apart in 15 minutes. whats the model?

Schalldampfer said:
Hmm... actually, will the alcohol idea work? Alcohol can't do that much damage to the rest of the circuit, can it...?
Take the keyboard out, then try cleaning it with alcohol. Make sure it diries thoroughly before you try to use it again though (don't just bathe the whole laptop in alcohol).

i'm looking at my dad's work dell...not sure what model but will prolly work for you anyways.

bend the screen back all teh way so its 180* (completely down to the table you should be working on). that plastic panel (gray here...pretty sure its blue on yours). on teh right side theres a little slot that looks like you can insert a screwdriver. do taht and pry up. you will hear a clip pop out. grab the side of it with your hands and pull up carefully. there are a couple more clips (the LCD hinge covers are also attached to this plastic panel). once that is off there are 2 screws ontop of the keyboard. unscrew those and pull up ont eh keyboard. it kinda clips in beside escape and backspace. slide it upwards and unplug the ribbon cable and you're all set. do the reverse to put it back (obviously). hope this helps (i did this on my dads, and its all working again, so you should be able to do it no problem).

Back