• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Built Water Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Just thought Id share my home built water block... not quite done with it yet... but almost!!!

Water Block

is it just me, or is it made out of glass....if so i dont know about the performance....

Sorry, should have put some details on it huh? Oops
Ok it is made of Plexi, but it has a peice of Alluminum sheet on the bottom of it, and yes the water will come in direct contact with the alluminum...

Yes, its one solid peice that I cut into from one side. Basiclly, Drilled holes into it and placed the sheet of metal on it with glue... I will be testing it prolly in the next few weeks...

let me know how it goes because i have some solid polyurethane pieces like that i was thinking of using,still waiting for my copper stock to come

Granted about lexan, but I was only able to get my hands on a nice peice of plexi... was cheap and the right size overall. Other than the fact it was 12"x12"x1.5". But thats a good thing as well, I can use some trial and error and play some as well. For my next one I am going to use an actual heat sink. I won a zalman cnps5000 on another forum a few weeks back. Not real sure as to its quality overall. But if its a possiblity and the heatsink is of decent material, I might use it in the next block...

Well I have several blocks that I could use if someone was actually interested I could build one up and sell it for a pretty cheap price, prolly about 10 bucks + shipping. However I wouldnt want to until I know that it works, and hopefully good...

Actually it did chip some, we used a table saw... worked great. But I am rounding out the edges for several reasons. One of course being the obvious.. to get rid of any marks from the cutting and of course to make sure it looks right...

I was told that some were having troubles to get in and see this so I thought Id show it in here like this with a little detailed discription with it....

Top left is a shot of the top of the block, This is the size of the internal chamber there... I have to as of yet actually put the brass fitting in yet but that is due to that I want the glass looking as clear as possible, so less to work around without them in yet...
Top right is the bottom of the block, It is an aluminum sheet attached, Im not sure yet if how it is attached will be good enough, Going to test it with some decent pressure before hand of course, and still need to lap it to get it smooth...
Bottom left... It points to where the actual brass fittings will go...
Bottom right, just an angle shot of it.

[Edit] Another note I just spoted, if you look in the bottom left picture you can see what it started out as... just a block of plexi, rough and you can barely see into it, let alone through it as you can to a degree so far with the one Im working on...

how thick is that alu plate on the bottom? seems pretty thin from the photos, you might want something a bit thicker to help spread the heat more...
As for the heatsink based block, I made one with an old pentium heatsink and some alu sheet, tested it on a 56W peltier, worked like a charm :)

I cant remeber exactly.. But I think it was 1/8th of an inch... The inside surface area is about 2-3 square inches where the water will be in contact with... Just the first test dummy of many to come...

Couldnt find any copper sheets, and everything else I have is in alluminum, so just kinda going with what I have. But I prolly will make at least one with a copper base eventually...

Back