• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is ubuntu being so system intensive!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hello everyone, i just got the latest ubuntu installed a few days ago and everything is working great..but one thing i have noticed is that just web browsing it is using an incredible amount of processing power! My system is an X2 4400+. 2gb of ram and (2x) 7800gtx's so i find it hard to believe that gnome is THAT system intensive? The only thing i can think of is it is having trouble with my 3-monitor desktop? But i am running the latest nvidia drivers and here is a link to my Xorg.conf file if anyone is interested: http://www.ocinek.com/diablo/monitors/xorg.conf.2.txt

Also, here is a screenshot with just firefox, xchat, gaim, and gimp running in the background on top of gnome:
Thank you for any help in advance!

cpuusage.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Running TOP shows that Xorg jumps up to 50-60% cpu usage with just system monitor displaying a graph, if i close system monitor it drops down to 5-10%.. it just seems strange that displaying something as simple as system monitor or moving a window around the screen could eat up so much cpu, but i have a feeling it has to do with my monitor setup as i think all the load is being transfered to the cpu for display and the gpu's are sitting there doing nothing.

I have no clear answers, but maybe a few things to look at.

1) the display config you have is pretty massive. ;)
2) Ubuntu is a pretty easy distro to use in large part thanks to all the stuff that is loaded that you are most likely not using. This could be eating up a lot of cpu power too.
3) How efficient are the 7800s at 2d? Being a very high end gaming card, 3d should be fantastic, but 2d is likely to be done somewhat differently. I really have nothing but a barely educated guess on this score- my best card is a 6600gt-agp, and I have not researched the newer stuff since the cost is outlandish to me. :D But it might be a factor.

rogerdugans said:
I have no clear answers, but maybe a few things to look at.

1) the display config you have is pretty massive. ;)
2) Ubuntu is a pretty easy distro to use in large part thanks to all the stuff that is loaded that you are most likely not using. This could be eating up a lot of cpu power too.
3) How efficient are the 7800s at 2d? Being a very high end gaming card, 3d should be fantastic, but 2d is likely to be done somewhat differently. I really have nothing but a barely educated guess on this score- my best card is a 6600gt-agp, and I have not researched the newer stuff since the cost is outlandish to me. :D But it might be a factor.

From reading that, i guess that this could be a driver problem than anything...

Seriously- don't put too much stock in my questioning of the 2d performance, but if nothing else, it could be worth looking into just to rule it out.

Thanks for the replies, i am unsure of the 2d performqance of my cards, i am also unsure of how there would be a driver problem as i installed the latest nvidia drivers directly from their site. I know my xorg.conf file is huge, but i dont see any way to make it any smaller; and even if i did i dont see how that would positively effect performance.

Back