• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really ****ed off, need your thoughts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

I was arguing on MSN to a couple of mates who play UT hard out like i do.. anyway, they were bitching about how UT2k7 was 'too realistic' and has 'unnecessary graphic details'. This really ****ed me off, because both of them play with all settings down low, so 'things don't get in the way' (they can frag easier). one of them said to me "I don't care about realism though... I don't want to be in the game, I want to play it. " now to me, PLAYING the game IS being in the game, if you're not really there, then it has no feeling behind it, imo.

Anyway, in particular, this is one of the points they were complaining about. Foliage settings.. they both have theirs set to 'off'. To me, this is unfair, because if someone was hiding behind the bush, they would be seen because the foliage was turned off. Also, having settings down so far there are basically no textures on the walls is just bs.. take CS for example, you wear camo so you blend into the environment so its harder to be detected.. now i know this isn't exactly the case in UT, but the way i see things is, if there are more textures and little objects being scattered everywhere, then your brain needs to process all that information as well as the person you're trying to frag. This is what realism is.. as far as i know, the people who fought in world wars did -NOT- have their brain's graphics set down low, and foliage off :p..

UT, although the first word is 'unreal', its still got to have a sense of connection to a real world.. take any of the UT series.. the game is bloody based in the future, the future of EARTH (as it says in UT99's CityIntro.unr "In 2291 in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the New Earth Government.." etc). Earth has plants, Earth has textures on walls, Earth looks realistic. Turning down gfx settings just ruins the game and makes it, litterally, UNREAL Tournament..

So I said to one of my mates that if graphics were not an important part of FPS', then why do we have access to the Y axis on the mouse? DOOM was an FPS, it didnt have any Y axis. (unless you played ZDOOM, but still, my point is, games evolve) he replied "A game seems nothing like the real life scenario it's made to resemble if you can't look up" <- look at that, 'the real life scenario it's made to resemble'. caught in his own words. Plants are real life, textures are real life, why should they be shunned?

Anyway, just was getting really angry, so I thought id ask you guys what you thought about the subject..

Careface*

I prefer heavy graphics. Makes it much easier for me to tell things apart. I remember back in the day playing Quake2 with just software rendering. Then I upgraded to a Voodoo 3 3000 :attn: and started playing with opengl, it made me a lot better deathmatch player and made the single player part of the game much more fun.

Typical elitist thinking. Those people put more of an emphasis on how good people think they are rather than just having fun with the game. Those kinds of people should be forced to play old CS and nothing else that way they don't bother the rest of us.

I can play UT2k4 with max settings and not have to worry about framerates, maybe their systems suk and they cant turn the settings up, on another note online play is for competition not for eye candy.

Back in the day when I didnt have such a powerful rig anything i played online i would set everything to performance to give me as many FPS and possible, after all multiplayer is competition, if you wanna see the eye candy then play single player.

I think that whenever I play online, I'm only hurting myself if I keep my framerate low. Just join a competition sometime, and you'll quickly notice everybody is running at performance settings. Sure, you might get your kicks from more immersive gameplay, but I get the most fun from being the guy who single-handedly won the match. Whether that's elitist thinking or not, I'll be the one who owned your team, when you just wanted nicer graphics.

i would turn all my graphics down as well if it made me play better. i understand what they're saying 100%.

I'm going to take the other side on this one. Gaming is really competitive and anything you can do that is legal to help you should be used. It's the same thing as a quarterback having the sweatband with the plays on it, or the same thing as. I was REALLY into cod:uo and my team broke up before season 3 of Cal. We used configs that would lower all sorts of stuff and make it easier for us. They're using it too, and you'd be surprised to see how many of the players are not using legal things. Most of y'all are playing games because it's fun and you want it to look amazing. Go over to caleague.com forums and those guys are there to win, and whatever they must do legally to do that, they will.

Herr Rogers said:
I'm going to take the other side on this one. Gaming is really competitive and anything you can do that is legal to help you should be used. It's the same thing as a quarterback having the sweatband with the plays on it, or the same thing as. I was REALLY into cod:uo and my team broke up before season 3 of Cal. We used configs that would lower all sorts of stuff and make it easier for us. They're using it too, and you'd be surprised to see how many of the players are not using legal things. Most of y'all are playing games because it's fun and you want it to look amazing. Go over to caleague.com forums and those guys are there to win, and whatever they must do legally to do that, they will.

or they simply use exploits/hacks and when they get caught try to make it a huge cover up haha. Apparently every 16 year old dream in Counter Strike, Call Of Duty, Etc for some reason to brag about that Cal crap. Unless I am getting paid very well to game, I am playing for the fun of gaming. It's alright to be competitive & get a little crazy but I can't help but laugh at these people that are deathly serious saying (Im gonna grow up to be a competitive gamer & pwn you all in CAL) Good luck with that.

mage_x said:
i would turn all my graphics down as well if it made me play better. i understand what they're saying 100%.

If you want better frame rates on an older rig or things are much more smoother, if it helps your gameplay I'd do it too.

Feydd said:
Typical elitist thinking. Those people put more of an emphasis on how good people think they are rather than just having fun with the game. Those kinds of people should be forced to play old CS and nothing else that way they don't bother the rest of us.

Lmao a huge chunk of people play old CS today still along with all the other versions. It's crept over into practically every other game on the market, especially Console. Starcraft/CS really fueled what started a lot of that crap though.

Last edited:
I understand where your soming in a coop match it's totaly unfair to you but i bet alot of others do it online too. Personally if im playing a game i do want it to look good especially if thats how i started to play it in the first place!

A game is ment to get you out off "real" life and take you on an adventure/kicking some butt so if they like to play with lower settings just to do well in a game it's there loss! The thing that i would say to them if they were my friends is... You only play with the settings low becasue:
1. your crap and carnt do well without the settings low
2. it's a game it's ment to be fun and a challenge
3. turn the damn settings up whats the point in buying a powerful game like that if your not going to use it to it's potential!?!
4. your a Looser! *with a capital L

just say that to them see what they say games are for fun, relaxation and enjoyment! ;)

In golf the girls get an advantage over men. It equals out the game were everyone can have fun according to skill. If they can hit the ball hard, they can go to the blue markers. They have an unfair advantage in some ways.

In video games gurliemen always cry about they need every adavantage they can get to overcome thier tiny E-penoz. Move them to the pink markers and be done with it. :p

lol i see a lot of mixed feelings towards this, and thats great, i wanted your guys thoughts and i got them :) sorry if my post was.. well, angry, but it was 2am and i was really annoyed at the way they were taking things.. besides, if they wanted to go to 'leet' tourneys like WCG, they'd have to beat eVeNfLoW.. and i know for a fact, as ive played with those two against eVeNfLoW, that we got completely owned lol.. eh that made me sound like a noob at ut.. but for those of you who dont know eVeNfLoW, hes from here in NZ and came 3rd in the world at UT99 at WCG :(

Careface*

twEEkerAreUs said:
or they simply use exploits/hacks and when they get caught try to make it a huge cover up haha. Apparently every 16 year old dream in Counter Strike, Call Of Duty, Etc for some reason to brag about that Cal crap. Unless I am getting paid very well to game, I am playing for the fun of gaming. It's alright to be competitive & get a little crazy but I can't help but laugh at these people that are deathly serious saying (Im gonna grow up to be a competitive gamer & pwn you all in CAL) Good luck with that.

I don't mean this to be a back and forth argument, but CAL actually is something to brag about, especially if you're in cal-i. Being in a cal-i clan in a very popular game such as cs 1.6 is an achievement. That is teh basis for recruitment. Some clans wont even consider reruitng you unless you've played a certain amount of seasons in cal-<x>. I also don't get what's so bad about being "deathly" (does that even make sense?) serious about a game if you can make money off of it. What you wrote was VERY biased, and in fact, most of the scenarios you listed could happen with practice... But then again, that's just my opinion.

twEEkerAreUs said:
If you want better frame rates on an older rig or things are much more smoother, if it helps your gameplay I'd do it too.
i don't mean just to make it smoother, but things like turning off shadows and foliage, etc to give you advantages over other players who might have them turned on still. i don't think anyone who games competitively leaves things like that on.

Back