• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper vs. Alum. (or combo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CodeHunter

Registered
Hey All,

The Thermaltake's BIG Typhoon seems to be choice among most of you guys, but I have some questions:

1 - The Thermalright's XP-90C is made complementally out of copper and its even more expensive than Big Typhoon, why? Is it the Big Typhoon's design that makes it cooler than the competing products, even when they are made of copper?

2 - Can I replace the fan on Big Typhoon? If so, what do you recommend? (Do you recommend some of those UV fans that would go with my DFI LanParty 'Expert' motherboard?)

3 - I am building my DFI nF4-SLI DR 'Expert' and Opteron 146 (CABNE 0530!) and would like to know if Big Typhoon is compatible with it.

Many thanks in advance!

1. Because raw copper is far more expensive than aluminum, and it is more expensive to mill than aluminum as well. Guess who pays for the difference?
2. Skip the flashy b1ing if cooling is your top priority. Delta makes some of the best fans on the market and they all come in dull, drab black.
3. Yes.

Copper is the best heat disspitating material, well the best is actually Silver, but that's way too expensive to be mass produced. After copper is Aluminum. Some things, like the XP-90C is completely copper, while the XP-120 is completely aluminum, a 120mm heatsink made of copper would be too heavy, so usually only the base or heatpipes are copper.

All the big name popular heatsinks perform more or less about the same, varying only by 1-2C. If you want pure performance, I'd say the Thermaltake Sonic Tower or Scythe Ninja are the best in pure performance. If you want something that cools your other componenets, the XP-90C or XP-120 are all great.

I would say the thermaltake big typhoon is just too large and pretty annoying to deal with. I would pick up an xp-90c with a nice panaflo fan, much easier to work with and provides pretty much the same cooling.

Futura pretty much answered all your questions.

If you're on a particularly tight budget, I'd just get a plain XP-90. It's copper brother competes within a degree or two. The typhoon is large, but when compared to other models with 120mm fans it's actually pretty OK to work with.

Thanks! OK, I am about to get XP-90C and the recommended fan is:

Panasonic FBL09A12M Fan

Now the place the I want to order it from is:

SideWinder Computers:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thxp.html

The thing is they offer (drop down menu) a LOT of different versions: (it is 92x25MM)

High Speed
Medium Speed
Ultra Quite

Pricewise they are all the same.

Which one should I choose?

Edit: I just realized that the rated CFM on official Thermalright is 48 CFM. But the High Speed 57 CFM posted on SideWinder Computers also is tempting.

Please help me choose one!

Thanks!

Thanks, the TDelta FFB0912HHE seems very nice (and fast!). The other ones I don't know.

Thanks!

CodeHunter said:
Thanks, the TDelta FFB0912HHE seems very nice (and fast!). The other ones I don't know.

Thanks!

I do not recommend you use that fan for your CPU HS. The reason is that it is only a 2 wire fan and does not come with the all important 3rd blue wire that is used to monitor RPMs. Without a tach input to the motherboard from your CPU fan to the MB it will report that your CPU fan has failed and depending on the board it may just shutdown on you and not allow you to boot. There are many other options out there. Give me a dBA range and I will be happy to recommend some to you.

Thanks! I don't care about dBA, as long as it is fast and cools my system. What about the Thermalrights' own suggested fans? (Pana folo)

:D XP90C

Thermalright has some funky fans. But if i heard correctly, they are pretty strong and move a lot of air. some of the cooling solutions even have controllers?

LOL nice link.

If you don't care about noise then allow me to introduce you to the most powerful 92mm fan on the market.

Delta 92x38mm TFB0912UHE Ultra High Speed

Let me warn you now. It is loud. :burn:

I recommend the 3 and 4 pin power connector setup. No sense in destroying the fan header on your MB with the power this fan draws. Just plug the 3 pin connector where your current CPU fan is plugged into and the 4 pin molex connector into a free Molex on your PSU.

Back