• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought an Opteron 154. Good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlexCuria

Hi,

This is my actual PC setup:

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert
BIOS: Phoenix - Award v6.00PG
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ Venice ~2.1GHz
Cooling: Thermalright XP120 with 12cm fan
RAM: 2x G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ (3-4-4-8)
Video Card: Club3D Nvidia GeForce 7900GS
PSU: OCZ GameXstream 600w

I have just bought the following two things and I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot, or if it's a good purchase and even more important if it's a good overall increase of what I had.

Opteron 154 (OSA154DAA5BN) for 120 $USD
Zalman CNPS9500A LED for $45

Both items are brand new.

If important, I can say that I'm not looking to set any world records, I don't really do much multitasking (more playing) and I didn't want to change the complete PC (mobo, rams, etc) and that's why I sticked to the socket 939.

I have been searching without much luck Reviews for the Opteron 154 but not much is around. Looks like much more reviews of the FX-57 are available although with small minor differences these should be almost the same. I'm wondering if my mobo will work with the Opteron as it is not on the CPU list of DFI.

btw. On air cooling what stable and easy OC can I expect? 3 GHz ?

Thank you for your comments.

I wouldn't say it was the best buy. It is not the worst upgrade. 120 for that bump is not all that great, but you will notice it some.

Myself, I would of not paid that much for the CPU, the cooler is not that bad of a price.

If I was to offhand guess(guess. as in guess). You overpaid by about 30%. No actual math... Just a guess. You didn't get ripped off, but they got over on you. The 939 is hard to find now. So it will cost more... I would like to find good 754 parts. But it will cost me a lot. It is how it works I guess.

The old 939 opties would sometimes do 3 with good boards and batches. 2.8 is a good goal.

Last edited:
That Opteron will work fine in your DFI motherboard. The Opteron 154 is basically the same as a FX-57, only the Opteron's multiplier doesn't go as high as the FX (but 14x is still very high).

That Opteron will work fine in your DFI motherboard. The Opteron 154 is basically the same as a FX-57, only the Opteron's multiplier doesn't go as high as the FX (but 14x is still very high).

Plus the FX was a totally differing socket. :D 939 vs. 940 (pins) and the ram on the 940 was registered.

Thank you both for the input.

Actually I started off looking for an FX-57 but couldn't find any. Then I was told in another forum that I could also fit an Opteron so started looking for one. I was just looking for the fastest single core CPU that goes on a Socket 939 mobo like mine.

Regarding the price you must know better than I, but I forgot to mention that were I live, the prices are a bit more expensive than the "best price". To be exact I bought the CPU on eBay because there are no Socket 939 FX or Opterons available anywhere near where I live (not even online shops). btw. I live in Spain.

One of my last options was eBay and not even there did I find much choices so I just hit the "Buy it Now" button when I saw this Opteron. Maybe if I would have been a bit more patient I could have found something cheaper but WTH it stated "Brand New" so I guessed that it couldn't be wrong.

If I hit 3 GHz I would be more than happy. It is 2.8 stock already.

btw. from what I've read in several forums and AFAIK, it basically comes down to this right?

Opteron
+ cheaper
- fixed multi

FX
+ unlocked multi
- more expensive

I have also read confusing stuff regarding the Opterons having better cores (higher quality) and that the FX overclock much better. What is?

Thanks for your time

Back