• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

350$ for AMD CPU... X2? Opteron? Any Other?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QPower

Registered
Well it is simple for me...

I got a budget of 350 for a processor... I want the "best" AMD processor that is LESS than 350$., I would prefer under 300$ or even under 250$, but I'm willing to pay that much for a processor.

My first choice is the X2 3800+

¿Any other suggestions? I'm seriously lost with all this "Opteron" talk, what would you recomend if I don't get a X2?

You will have to be a little more specific. What is the best for me is probably different than what is the best for you.

Will you OC?

What is the main use of the computer? I.e. gaming, vid encoding, etc

If you check the cber deals section you will see a thread on Dell selling the 3800 X2 for $289 with a coupon code. I was also look into the Opteron 165 as it's been coming down in price.

rseven said:
If you check the cber deals section you will see a thread on Dell selling the 3800 X2 for $289 with a coupon code. I was also look into the Opteron 165 as it's been coming down in price.

I agree, check out the Opty 165. :)

The Opteron 165 is esentially the same as the X2 3800+. The main differences are that the 165 has 2x1MB of cache, while the X2 3800+ only has 2x512kB of cache. Also, the 165 has been seen to OC better and defaults at a lower vcore, which in turn shows lower temperatures.

The Opteron 165 is essentially the same as the X2 3800+. The main differences are that the 165 has 2x1MB of cache, while the X2 3800+ only has 2x512kB of cache. Also, the 165 has been seen to OC better and defaults at a lower vcore, which in turn shows lower temperatures.

Dave tread carefully - you might be falling foul of point 4 of the code of conduct - just a friendly bit of advice to a newcomer! :welcome:

4. We do not permit advertising OF ANY KIND! This includes posting your URL, offering items for sale or trade Or announcements of new sites This applies equally to commercial and private ads. We do permit Senior Members to post their personal URLs - this is the only exception.

OC Detective said:
Dave tread carefully - you might be falling foul of point 4 of the code of conduct - just a friendly bit of advice to a newcomer! :welcome:

4. We do not permit advertising OF ANY KIND! This includes posting your URL, offering items for sale or trade Or announcements of new sites This applies equally to commercial and private ads. We do permit Senior Members to post their personal URLs - this is the only exception.

fixed...lol...

dave

darksparkz said:
The Opteron 165 is essentially the same as the X2 3800+. The main differences are that the 165 has 2x1MB of cache, while the X2 3800+ only has 2x512kB of cache. Also, the 165 has been seen to OC better and defaults at a lower vcore, which in turn shows lower temperatures.

Somebody double posted :p

The 165 is available OEM from Monarch in cyber deals as well. Even cheaper than that Dell 3800 X2

Thanks for the feedback, that opteron looks really tempting...

Twice the cache, Individually Tested, lower voltaje.

I haven't done much overclocking because I have been afraid of temperature issue (room temperature is 34-36ºC all year round over here). My current rig is setup for overclocking but haven't done any of it, thinking of selling my current parts (at a hefty price) and getting a dual core with excellent graphic cards.

My Current is:
Venice 3000+
DFI NF4-D
2x512 MB OCZ Gold PC-3200
Powercolor Radeon X800 256 DDR1
2x80 GB WD SATA-I 7200
3540A NEC DVD-+RW DL

I'm trying to collect money for:
X2 3800+ or Opty 165 (thx guys)
DFI Sli or Expert
2x1 GB (not sure which yet)
7800GT (probably EVGA)
250 GB ??? NCQ, SATA-II 7200
3550A NEC DVD-+RW DL

All of this on my existing Antec Truepower 2.0 550W, with 2 generics 80 mm fans.

Also buying a Audigy 2 SZ Platinum (100$ mail in rebates rock), SI-120, a 120 mm fan (probably panaflo), Sennheiser HD280 and a few nits and bits more. I'm definetly buying the Audigy and everything else on this paragraph, but I'm not sure if I'll make the switch on processor and everything else, gotta sell everything I have before I do the switch.

Last edited:
Monarchs seems like a great deal...

First I live in South America, so there's no way that 60 days is enough for me to test the processor.

I gotta buy the processor, Headphones, RAM, etc... Get them to Miami (that could take 2-3 weeks if I don't buy everything the same day), then have them packed and seal, sent down to Venezuela, wait for customs to give them a look, and have them deliver to my home. If everything goes well and I buy everything at the same time I can do the process in less than 3 weeks, but I'm expecting it to take 4-6 weeks.

On top of that if I have a problem I have to send back the stuff to the US for an RMA and that's another lengthy process.

I'll juy pay 15$ and get my 3 year warranty from monarch, and if something wrong happens I'll have planty of time to fix it :D

Last edited:
i personally went with the x2 3800+.
i didn't mind having less cache.. or a slightly worse memory controller.

I guess it was the motherboard support. i wasn't 100% sure my a8n sli premium fully supported the opty so i just went out and got the x2 3800+

yeah i know, stupid hasty decisions .but thats okay. i don't mind too much. and yes, i know i shoulda done some research before purchasing th ex2 3800+

Back