• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well would a Koolance Exos perform on my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzureNightmareX

Registered
I am planning on buying a first generation Koolance Exos for $75 from a friend. it is in pristine conditions except from some minor scratches. It even has a blue lighting mod done by Frozen CPU. I wanna know how it would perform on my current system (if it only cools my cpu, which would change down the line.)

Here is my system's specs. Any Idea on how far I could overclock the P4?

Gigabyte 8S648FXP-RZ
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Northwood
Infineon 512MB PC3200
integrated Realtek 4.1
D-Link Air Plus G 802.11 b/g
Chaintech Geforce SA6600 256 MB 8x AGP
Asus Chieftec Dragon series
3 intake fans, 2 outtake fans
Ultra X-Connect Blue/Orange UV 500 Watt 12 volt
80 GB 7200rpm ATA133 Hard Drive

I have no experience of P4s, so I can't speak directly on the performance you will see.

I can say that I also picked up a first-gen Exos used (for $100 I think) and it was money well spent.

Perfomance is NOT up to par with the best systems around, but it is certainly decent, and for the $75 you mention, I'd call it a great deal.

I used mine as the manufacturer intended in a LAN system for myself with a Socket A Athlon XP chip and cooled both cpu and video card. While I don't remember the exact temps and specs I was running at, I can say that the chip had a decent overclock and was running at higher voltage than AMD intended. :D

I have since modified the system and it is no longer in one piece, but I still hve the pump/res in service at the moment, though I do plan on replacing that with a better pump in the next month.

If you want to get the best overclock possible from your system you may want to pass on the Exos, but seriously- for $75 I would say grab it and try it out.
Unless you make your own blocks, I don't think you can do much better for the money than that.

AzureNightmareX said:
Getting flamed by over 500 posts by people in 2 different countries, having your private information about you and your family posted on a public forum. And still thinking everyone else is wrong and you're right: Priceless

no :)

AzureNightmareX said:
i wont recieve the unit until next week atleast, but no later than the 14th

koolance products are all aluminum, is the cpu w/b you bought aluminum or copper. if copper you'll need to modify your coolant ratio to decrease corrosion.

copper and aluminum don't work well. i've worked on several koolance all-in-one case and watercooling units. one of them was an old pc2 case and i had used a copper nb w/b. i was recommended 85% distilled water, 15% zerex and 2-3 drops of iodine and fish tank algaecide.

this was 7 months ago and my buddies pc is running 24/7 with a clean loop.

i'm currently building a w/c setup based on all koolance parts from a pc2 as above, i'm keeping it all aluminum.

sorry for being wordy, just a heads up :)

ahem, swiftech waterblocks are all copper, especially the model i stated i bought above. Also Ive been told to use 10%-15% antifreeze

Also, the heat conductivity of aluminum sucks so go copper with your waterblock.

system is up and running, no leaks. Temp probe was loose but that was fixed with some soldering. temps were 32 idle and 66 load. Now the temps are 16 idle and 21 load

yeah, that sounds about right

Anyways, my video card is overheating when i run games like Far Cry, which should be second nature to it, on ulta high settings. Any suggestions?

Back