• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally, 955XE @ 5.1GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Saw it on XS and it was the first one I've seen at a solid 5GHz clock so I thought I'd post. 955XE Pressler on a 975X WS mobo. 300FSB x17, 1.50Vc. I *think* it's on air, but am not sure yet. The same guy did 4.8GHz on air stable enough to do 32M SPi, so I am guessing he just stepped it up on the same air cooling. I get the feeling there's more left in it too...

If that's on air, these things will be simply insane on WC/phase!!

OMG, just heard back from him. That IS air cooled using a Tower 120!!! Me thinks 6GHz+ on phase will be commonplace :D

I don't know, but someone will have one under phase soon enough I am sure...XS is chock full of phase/cascade/DICE/LN2 users. I am thinking 940-950 myself instead of 955XE though...just can't see dropping $1K on it to use for a couple of months, but that's some sick air clocks :drool:

:clap: Looks like Santa made an early run. :santa:

I figured they'd do it. The things always clock higher than you think they will when you see them reviewed. They just don't spend enough time with them like people actually do.

I remember when the Prescott's came out everybody was hunting for 4.0GHz. It is commonplace now. If the early models are hitting 5GHz, it will be no problem.

I remember hearing how "dual cores don't clock", and "they'll still be too hot", and even somebody said "that's rediculous"...

Well, it's been done, and it's been done on air. Now 5.5GHz is gonna happen on phase.

Ross, you were right, and I was saying the same things back when word first got out about these. In fact, I've known about this run of CPU's up through the Conroe for a long time.

Just follow the roadmap.

Last edited:
both those chips came from the same guy, VictorWang (at least he had them both at one time, sent one to that andre yang guy) . i think someone asked him if they were cherry picked, i think he said NO.

...and to think that 5.0GHz was "rediculous" a few months ago. I guess that dispels that myth once and for all. :santa2:

Not only do wee have 5+ on air, we now have not just 5.5, but 6.1 on phase. Looks like some records are about to be broken. Maybe we can get the all out clock record back here in the US where it belongs.

I also suspect that benchmark records are about to be broken as well.

Yeah, baby...SHOW ME THE MONEY! LOL :santa:

This is great news so far, it looks like it is going to be a good year for us Intel fans! Yay! I can hardly wait, the anticipation is nerve racking! :santa:

This leads me to thinking just how nicely the single core Cedar Mill might clock!

'Course, w/dual core clocking this nicely, I guess single core might become a moot point.

Dayem...I wish these had dual FSB, too. I'd love to see what happens when you open up the sys B/W on a Pressler, & get rid of the memory contention issues between the cores.

Strat

My bet is Cedar Mill is going to be a sweet OC'er as well. I'm mainly waiting on Conroe, becasue the Flight Sims I'm flying now are coding toward dual core CPU's. In fact, F4:AF already is optimized for dual core. These FDlight Sim's can be a real killer on a system. LOMAC is more like a dang benchmark than a Flight Sim. LOL

I bet 5.5GHz on air will be no problem for that Cedar Mill. We all know later steppings are gonna be more refined. They always are.

*Holds money in hand and waits on consumer reviews of consumer chips* As soon as I see what's chips are working well and the chips are in regular stock I will have one.

LOL! :D

To non-computer geeks, we probably sound like a bunch of crackheads, anxiously waiting for the man to show... :rolleyes:

"Here, man...take my 640..."

Strat - Jonesing for a 65nM cpu (& dumping his 640) ;)

Last edited:
Back