• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding fan into top of pc case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shades_of_Me

Just wanted to know if it would make a difference at all if i mounted a 90mm fan onto the top of my case i currently have a Thermaltake seprano case with a 120mm front intake a 120mm fan at the back puching the air out with a 90mm side intake fan and a pci blower......seeing as hot air rises i though that a fan int the top sucking air out would be the best thing?? :shrug:

for sure it will. We have been doing this sort of thing since forever! Its called a blowhole.

It may help drop your temps by a 1-2c.

Hmmm I wonder if 1-2c is really worth the hassle..if it was about five then that would be worth it..??

1-2 is just an example. It all depends, really.

Adding a blowhole (fan at the top of the case) is one of the most efficient ways you could cool your computer by air. They take like ten minutes to make, and look awesome.

I'd say go for it.

Shades_of_Me said:
Well thats just made my mind up...any reccomendations what size to go or what fan to use??

Most people go with 80mm, but some go with 120mm. From my knowledge, the most popular size is 80mm (correct me if I'm wrong), which will require a 3 inch holesaw to cut.

Yeah thats the size i was thinking, i was wondering what size holesw to use...but that answers my questions...

Thanks

for a big case 120, mid tower, 80. any lower than that will be useless.

and yea, 1-2c is just an example, for me thats probably all i will gain but for you, your cooling setup may not be so advance and it maybe higher.

If your case can support it, why not go with 120? i've always wanted to go with dual 80's though, it would look wicked.

Depending on case airflow, a blowhole could help or hurt temperatures. Be sure you know adding a blowhole is the right thing to do.

I add a blowhole to all my cases... my two Antec SLK-3000B's I recently purchased were "blowhole'd" before I ever actually used either case... so I cannot comment on how the case performed before the blowhole. On the other two cases I have done, it did help, but keep in mind... some more than others.

I don't know if you Fold(you should ;)), but for those of us who run our rigs wide open 24/7 it's pretty easy to tell if you are getting a exuberant amount of heat build up in the upper part of the chassis. Just run your hand on the side of your case from the bottom to the top. Feel the temp difference? If so, you have heat build up and a blowhole is for you IMO.

Also, I'd go with at least a 92mm for a small mid tower or a 120mm if you want silence and/or more cfm. Fan controller is also a must have if you don't already have one.

Lastly, using a circular hole saw and a drill is definitely the easy way to go... but if you want to get creative/waste more time. Use a dremel w/cut off wheels to create an angular cut instead of a circular cut. If you want, I'll put some pics of mine. Just let me know...

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.......I am gonna put ina blowhole and see how much diff it makes, will post before and after temps once its done..anywhere I would be able to buy a holesaw in the uk? and does the holesaw have to be exactly 120mm for a 120mm fan..that may seem obvious but I aint sure

You need to make the hole a touch smaller IMO. Just to give the edges of the fan something to rest against. Like I said before, I'm a dremmel guy and don't cut the "easy" way with a hole saw. :D

I make my blowholes with a saber saw (hand held jig saw). Look at the link in my signature about modding a cheap case for a guide. My method also works if you use a dremel. Make sure you place the hole in the middle so it don't interfer with the power supply or the top drive bay.

Back