• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb to SATA... having a little trouble...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cracker1082

Registered
Alright guys... Read the sticky and it seemed pretty easy...

I recently received a 74 gig raptor... i'm currently running an IDE Maxtor with all my info on it...

Couple of questions and problems for you guys... and again, pardon the noob-ishness.

First off, shouldn't i be able to just plug the raptor in my onboard SATA port and boot off of my IDE like usual and it should see the raptor, right? it doesnt even recognize new hardware though when booting into windows... i enabled the SATA controllers in my bios.. If the SATA isn't plug and play with an existing operating system, does that mean that i need to do a fresh install on the Raptor? I was hoping i could ghost over my current hard drive over to the raptor without a hitch...?

BTW, i have a K8V SE Deluxe... Asus.

BTW i forgot to add that i have onboard RAID capabilities, and the only way the the motherboard recognized the drive was when i set up a RAID with my Existing PATA and the Raptor. Is this the only way that i'd be able to use the new sata drive?

Alright... Sort of a bump but also a little update...

I realized that i had the raptor plugged into the wrong sata port, as it was in the SATA_PRI and SEC ports... i also have SATA1 and 2 ports which are the non raid ones i believe... So now the bios recognizes and shows my raptor... however, windows still does not.

I boot off of my IDE drive with the raptor also plugged in and windows doesnt prompt for any SATA controllers or any drives or weird devices...

I'm so lost... can anyone help? :shrug:

cracker1082 said:
Alright... Sort of a bump but also a little update...

I realized that i had the raptor plugged into the wrong sata port, as it was in the SATA_PRI and SEC ports... i also have SATA1 and 2 ports which are the non raid ones i believe... So now the bios recognizes and shows my raptor... however, windows still does not.

I boot off of my IDE drive with the raptor also plugged in and windows doesnt prompt for any SATA controllers or any drives or weird devices...

I'm so lost... can anyone help? :shrug:

Does the drive show up in device manager under "disk drives"? If so, you have to activate the drive in disk management (administrative tools which is in control panel, then computer management, in there go to disk management).
After that, you have to partition and format the drive (can do this in windows). After all that, the drive will show up as a drive in My Computer.

no, it doesnt.

The only place that it shows up in is the BIOS. I have SATA enabled obviously, but windows doesnt see the drive at all.

It did see it one time when i had a raid set up with my PATA, but i do not want a RAID. I want just the Raptor, ghosted over from my PATA drive...

No suggestions?

cracker, some bios's have 2 places to enable sata drives.

go into your bios and go under "standar cmos settings" see if the bios autodetects the drive, if it doesn't hit "f3 or f5" it will say on the bottom of the screen to manually autodetect.

then go through your manual to find info on enabling a sata drive.

when i add a sata drive to a pc, i shut down the pc, clear the cmos and install the sata drive. 8 times so far and it's worked for me.

Got it working... searched all night through the net for a specific set of drivers for windows, and had to manually add a SATA controller in control panel... Man, havent had to manually add hardware since windows 95!

Back