• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my memory (or is it somthing else?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark11link

Registered
Ok my specs are below with Aspire 500w PSU. My pc has been freezing up all the time and now it won't even boot into windows. I don't know whether it is my ram, mobo, psu, or a combination of them. I did memtests on each of the sticks in each slot and these were my results after 1 pass:

------------------1st test----------------------2nd test

slot 1--------------1000's of errors--------------------100's of errors
slot 2---------------100's of errors--------------no errors but won't boot
slot 3-----------------no picture-------------------------no picture
slot 4-----------------no picture-------------------------no picture

If the ram is bad I am just gonna RMA it and sell the new ones on ebay and buy some quality stuff, with a better psu and a good cpu cooler for ocing. If the mobo is bad I will rma and do the same, and if the psu is bad I will just toss it and buy the new stuff.

Mate, welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest manually setting 2.5-3-3-8 timings and bumping up the VDRAM to 2.8V, whilst the RAM Divider and other timings are set to AUTO. The DFI Ultra-D is quite an unforgiving board, a trade off, given its vast Memory timing customizability.

Ok I did what you said on the second stick in the second slot (the one that ran with no errors in memtest on 1 pass). I still could not boot into windows, just the same thing "windows could not shut down properly select your option" and no matter what I would pick it would just reboot. I am now running memtest on it and got no errors on it through 1 pass (same with the auto settings vs 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2.8v).

I don't understand though, it was booting windows fine before, now it won't boot at all even with loose timings. Even when it runs through memtest fine it won't boot. I just don't want to buy all this new stuff just to find out that it was something else.

dark11link said:
I don't understand though, it was booting windows fine before, now it won't boot at all even with loose timings. Even when it runs through memtest fine it won't boot. I just don't want to buy all this new stuff just to find out that it was something else.

Do not loosen the timings. There is NO guarentee that loosing the timings would get things working. You really need to spend time with this board. Anything short of running Memtest Test #5 overnight is not going to give you any real data. Let us see how many memtest errors you get.

Try these timings:-
tRC= 10
Idle cycle timer = 16 clks

Ok I did what you said and after 45 passes I got no errors on test 5. I'm going to run through all of the tests while I go take a shower now and then I will give you those results.

Ok so far memtest ran through 6 passes and has no errors, I'm going to keep it on for awhile yet to see if anything else comes up.

And also do you think that my bottum two dimm slots are done? Neither stick would even show picture when I had them in their, although the pc did boot.

Tried reseting the cmos, did nothing, checked all jumpers and cables, everything was fine, checked every single option in the bios and everything was fine. The only thing I did see and now remember is that I have a 20pin psu and a 24 pin mobo. Do you think that this could be a problem? If I remember correctly this only deals with the pci-express slots but do you think that could have something to do with slots 1 and 2 showing no picture?

Back