• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Core would you get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Well i want to make a passive box so im looking at the 3200+. The only thing im wondering is would you get the E3 or E4 core?

Doesn't really matter. Neither will have a clear cut advantage over the other. If you want to make a passive box, get a Turion & one of those large tower heatsinks. the Turions put out 35W (I believe there are also 25W models) & any large heatsink with good fin spacing should handle that fine passively.

I would get an E4, that's a Manchester with the second core disabled, it will have a lot larger surface area with the IHS, thus in theory should run cooler. It also runs at 1.3-1.35v instead of the regular A64s 1.35-1.4v.

Moto: No point in getting such an expensive chip, when you can get a cheap one, and just run it at stock speed and undervolt.

The Coolest said:
I would get an E4, that's a Manchester with the second core disabled, it will have a lot larger surface area with the IHS, thus in theory should run cooler. It also runs at 1.3-1.35v instead of the regular A64s 1.35-1.4v.

Moto: No point in getting such an expensive chip, when you can get a cheap one, and just run it at stock speed and undervolt.

yea undervolting was the plan i didnt even look at the turions i did see any come up in neweggs search for 939 chips. Im not up on Amd's stuff. Thanks for the info/help guys.

well i have searched for reviews of many nv6100/6150 Matx mobos that newegg has listsed. The only one that had voltage options was the skt939 Biostar. i like the layout of the Foxconn and Gigabyte as far as the pci-e/pci slots go. Since there was only user reviews and no online reviews of the 2 latter boards a few users state no voltage options. I would like to see actual one's now maybe there is a forum im missing where some people have tried the latter 2 boards. What are yall's thoughts on them for a passive rig? I couldnt see going skt754 due to upgrade ability and the fact that prices were almost the same for mobos.

You can read up on the Biostar mobo here.
It seems to be one of the best, if not THE best mATX OCing mobo.

yea read that... im kind holding off because of the placement of the pic-e 1x slot above the x16 slot. That why i was kind leaning towards the foxconn or the gigabyte. Voltage and mutli options are all i need. if i dont see any reviews for the foxconn i might wait just depends right now.

Back