• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo + Opteron = System Stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, need some help here. For some reason, unknown to me, I am getting some stuttering in my system. Its not a very huge obvious thing, I can run music and all fine, but when I am moving my mouse, scrolling down a webpage, even holding down a key in Gedit shows that it stutters every few seconds. Any thoughts?

Got the nitro sources, no luck. Do you by chance have a messenger program? I would really like to talk to somebody in realtime, and some of the things you pointed to me are alittle bit more advanced then I am comfortable with right now.

2 things to check:

1) is dma enabled for the hard drives
2) are you using the accelerated video drivers

1) Using sata as my primary HDD, but yes, DMA is enabled on the ones that are ATA
2) Yes. Hardware Acceleration is working.

Its not a bad thing, its just really really annoying, and at times, very obvious. Im sure it will affect my game performance. I'm wondering if I should just start over and try again.

How much ram do you have? If you have close a gig, you will rarely see your swap being used. You might also want to try running 'top' to see if there is anything eating up your cpu and/or ram.

yea, 1gb, and already tried, nada. My CPU is barely being used at all.

I've figured out that it has something to do with my eth0. I know that its filling up my dmesg with a message:

eth0: -- ERROR --
Class: internal Software error
Nr: 0x19e
Msg: Vpd: Cannot read VPD keys

But this was said to be normal on these boards. Not sure what I should do in this case.

Not at my computer right now, but I can tell you that dmesg fills up with the error message I posted above in a matter of minutes, and my glxinfo is fine, for when I run glxgears, I get 10000+ FPS, its just this jump. I was told that it might be an issue with interrupts, as my ethernet, graphics card, and soundcard are all sharing a single interrupt. Im going to try moving a few things around when I get home.

I don't understand what your dmesg error means, but it looks suspicious to me. Of course, I could be totally wrong. I'd try to track that down by googling.

MRD, I have. Its an issue with the VPD released on that driver. There is supposed to be a fix for it in the kernel, and I looked only to find the fix already there, but not working for the error on my system for some reason.

Nade, its a stage 2 install, and its just the default for the stage. I only added MAKEOPTS="-j2" and my USE flags.

Midnight Dream said:
Not at my computer right now, but I can tell you that dmesg fills up with the error message I posted above in a matter of minutes, and my glxinfo is fine, for when I run glxgears, I get 10000+ FPS, its just this jump. I was told that it might be an issue with interrupts, as my ethernet, graphics card, and soundcard are all sharing a single interrupt. Im going to try moving a few things around when I get home.
Are you using I/O APIC and/or ACPI? If so, interrups shouldn't be a problam (AFAIK).
MAKEOPS="-j2" is your MAKEOPTS, not your USE flags, which weren't what you were asked about anyway. How aboput just posting your emerge info?

Gnufsh said:
Are you using I/O APIC and/or ACPI? If so, interrups shouldn't be a problam (AFAIK).

Not sure. I assume that is in the kernel. Where might I find information on that?

Gnufsh said:
MAKEOPS="-j2" is your MAKEOPTS, not your USE flags, which weren't what you were asked about anyway.

I know, but im saying those are the only 2 things within my make.conf I changed, the MAKEOPTS and adding USE flags

Gnufsh said:
How aboput just posting your emerge info?

How would I go about getting said information?

Fixed. It was a freaking gimp driver in the kernel. They have both a new and old version of the Marvel Yukon, but the updated one doesnt have the Marvel Yukon tag. Note to all with DFI - All Marvel Yukon gigabyte lans - Make SURE to use the updated driver. If you are getting a spam of bad VPD, you are not using the correct driver.

Back