• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Presler is coming (before Feb)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
After hearing rumblings that a Fry's in CA already has Preslers available, I called my local Fry's (TX) to check. They don't have them yet, but they are already in the system (have to be cuz other Fry's are selling them). So it's just a matter of waiting on delivery...might be as early as the end of this week, but shouldn't be any later than the end of next week.

I am astounded that Fry's has them available before Newegg or any online retailer for that matter because they NEVER get new products on the shelves before anyone else.

Anyway, since people started talking about them not being available until Feb. now, I wanted to let everyone know that some Fry's have them already and they are probably already on the way to those that don't, so I think anything later than the 1/16/06 release date is BS. For that matter, they are out now, just not apparently on a wide scale...

Hooray!!! if preslers arriving now then where are the 975x chipset mobos? [glares at asus]

i hope these chips dont take too long to cross the atlantic!

the P5WD2-E Premium is the one im waiting for.... im guessing itl be the overlocking board of choice if the last one is anything to go by.... tho i though it was 8 phase to?

Vrykyl said:
the P5WD2-E Premium is the one im waiting for.... im guessing itl be the overlocking board of choice if the last one is anything to go by.... tho i though it was 8 phase to?

That's what I heard too, seems the workstation board is the only 975x one *yet* that has 8-phase.

The P5WD2-E is definitely not 8-phase, only the WS board is...

does 8 phase actually offer any real benefit? which board would you guys get? im still thinking the premium, just bacause the last board was so good...

Vrykyl said:
does 8 phase actually offer any real benefit? which board would you guys get? im still thinking the premium, just bacause the last board was so good...

I just pulled this from ASUS' site:

8-Phase Power Design
The ASUS 8-Phase Power Design provides highly efficient operation to generate less heat (at least 15°C (36°F)) than other conventional power solutions. It reduces input ripple current and output ripple voltage, which keeps CPU and power module from suffering the risk of high power stress. It has the advantages of quick transient response and stability, especially beneficial when CPU requires more current immediately under heavy loading or overclocking mode.

Certainly sounds nice, but the absence of it from the Premium confuses me a tad.

Yeah, it basically distributes the load and make the work easier and more stable. I am not paying an extra $80-100 for the WS board...the P5WD2-E will be expensive enough.

Im not really prepared to go Dual-Core just yet, the Cedar Mills are what im waiting for. I cant imagine how high a single core 65nm chip will under phase, wish me luck ;).

DanIdentity said:
ZZF has had those boards on their site for a while, listed as out of stock. They're famous for putting products up on their site well before they're released and marking them as out of stock.

Exactly what I was thinking. Nice marketing tactic...

Still fun knowing they're just around the corner, though.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Im not really prepared to go Dual-Core just yet, the Cedar Mills are what im waiting for. I cant imagine how high a single core 65nm chip will under phase, wish me luck ;).
Unless they come out like a day after Presler (or the same time), I don't think I'll be able to wait, but I was thinking of staying single core just a little bit longer too. If they come in much cheaper than Preslers, maybe, but I don't think it they are going to OC like 1GHz over what a Presler will do....maybe 500MHz If you get one and hit 7GHz though, I'll have to buy one just to have my own 7GHz screen shot :)

Ross said:
Yeah, it basically distributes the load and make the work easier and more stable. I am not paying an extra $80-100 for the WS board...the P5WD2-E will be expensive enough.
What it does is lessen the difference between the peak voltage output of each phase relative to the RMS voltage produced by the regulator as a whole. This is significant as it decreases the power consumed for a given power output, lessening the load on the main power supply's 12V CPU circuit and reducing the heat output of the PWM section of the motherboard.

The 8 phase power along with pci-x is going to be too much for me to pass up. I wish they would hurry up and get them in stock.

Ross said:
Unless they come out like a day after Presler (or the same time), I don't think I'll be able to wait, but I was thinking of staying single core just a little bit longer too. If they come in much cheaper than Preslers, maybe, but I don't think it they are going to OC like 1GHz over what a Presler will do....maybe 500MHz If you get one and hit 7GHz though, I'll have to buy one just to have my own 7GHz screen shot :)

The cedarmills are going to be A LOT cheaper, 661 for like $400 .. thats what im getting.

Hmmm. I may not have to be the first one on my block with one then....maybe I just need to see what each one does first :) I think on CF, the Presler would have a pretty good lead, but I'd just love to see >6.5GHz :D

legitreviews says:

Intel has confirmed that it has been mass-producing 65 nm Pentium D processors for some time now in its D1D fab in Hillsboro, Oregon and they will be on the market to purchase starting January 16, 2006.

Intel 955 - $999 - 3.46GHz
Intel 950 - $637 - 3.4GHz
Intel 940 - $423 - 3.2GHz
Intel 930 - $316 - 3.0GHz
Intel 920 - $241 - 2.8GHz

I am tempted to get a 661...REALY tempted, but the pressler is looking better and better everyday. The reason I love my Intel system is for it's snappiness and the ability to multi-task. Double the cache I have now, higher clocks, TWO processors, and my 2 gigs of ram would make and awsome rig:drool: Besides, they are *supposed* to be so close in price. I wouldn't mind having the unlocked multi of the 661 either though :bang head

Back