• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 165 appears damaged..need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

So I fell for the Dual Core allure with my 8MB Raw files from my DSLR taxing my current PC compared to what I am used. Now I have already pulled the IHS off my 3700+ Sandy no problem.

I tried using the dental floss technique on this chip because I put some slight gouges in the substrate on my 3700+.

It took some time, but it came off without much drama. So I installed it into my mobo and the PC won't power-up. It hangs on what it says is a video card initialization(1 long beep, then 2 short beeps Abit AN8 Ultra) I tried swapping my X850XT for my X800Pro to no avail. So I swapped my 3700+ back in and it boots fine. :(

So I take a look at my exposed core really carefully and I now notice there is a "groove" down the middle of the CPU core. My fingernail catches on it if I drag it across the bare die. What I cannot figure out is if there is any way dental floss could have "cut" into the silicon.

I also tried using regular white grease in case the AS5 is/was making contact and grounding out the core to the WB.

Any opinions/ideas are welcome. HELP!

I have no idea what a cracked core is like, as I've never seen one, but if there's a "groove" it might be that the core did crack. Uneven or far too much mounting pressure would probably do it.

Otherwise... Did you test the processor before doing mods on it that would void the warranty? Testing is always very important before you go and lose you warranty.

It is not a cracked core from mounting. I have utilized the circular mounting pads from a dead Socket A CPU(TY ocforums member) to help "protect" the core during installation. Furthermore I have installed this opteron and my 3700+ Sandy about 6 times and the sandy is 1/2 the size of the Opteron and more easily cracked and there is not a mounting crack in the core. My Sandy runs just fine.

I know what a chipped and cracked core looks like. This groove is only a few thousands of an inch deep. Think of it as a score mark in the surface of the CPU.
Furthermore henesse these opterons are famous for achiving a 10-20 degree celsius temp drop from removing the IHS. All 9 of the CPUs I have worked with have been bare core and I have not cracked/mounting damaged any of them.

I guess not a lot of people want to take risks with removing the IHS. :p Might help if you take a picture of it.

Okay, one thing you diddn't address or I'm missing...did you boot up this processor before taking off the IHS? Also, that line is definately the source of your issues, as my core is completely smooth...chances are good the floss somehow cut a groove into the core. :(

Dental floss would not damage a cpu core like that. Your core is cracked, I have a 3200+ mobile A64 here with the same problem. It is definitley cracked and there for dead. The dental floss could maybe pull off one of the resistors but thats about it. You cracked the core somehow, try to figure out how it happened so you won't do it again.

I am going to try and get pictures, it is very hard to see with the naked eye so this will be even more difficult.

On this particular CPU, I did not test with IHS first since I have had such good luck removing IHS(This is the part where I feel dumb!).

And when any of you guys have cracked your core, did you actually hear it crack? Because I didn't hear a noise of any kind when installing the WB.

Sounds like you bumped your video card. You now are required to reseat the video card.

If the processor core got cracked, you probably wouldn't even get any bleeps. Probably would just sit at a black screen with the LEDs lit and the fans running.

Travis Dawes said:
I am going to try and get pictures, it is very hard to see with the naked eye so this will be even more difficult.

On this particular CPU, I did not test with IHS first since I have had such good luck removing IHS(This is the part where I feel dumb!).

And when any of you guys have cracked your core, did you actually hear it crack? Because I didn't hear a noise of any kind when installing the WB.
No I never heard a thing but rjarrrpcgp maybe right about your video card. Unplug it and reseat it, maybe you'll get lucky. That sure does sound like a cracked core to me though. Have you tried to boot up with one stick of ram out or with different ram?

I have tried reseating my X850XT and then I tried installing my X800Pro I still had. No go on the video card. The funny thing is the post code it is showing states no video card inserted. I have tried 1 RAM stick and 2 sticks and the "normal" 4 sticks of RAm to no avail. I am thinking it is most likely a cracked core which is really weird considering one would think a smaller cored 3700+ would be easier to crack. I wish I had another mobo that is known to work wih Opty DCs to verify it is a non-op CPU.

Well I'd send you my NF3 Ultra-D but I have it sold. If your other chip will still post then the Opty should post too. As far as I know the bios shouldn't prevent it from working, it would just not show up as a dual core or something wierd like that if the bios didn't recognise it.

Well I appreciate the token of comradarie! I am on the 3rd BIOS revision which supports dual core CPUs, so I doubt that is the problem. Now I will have to try and photograph this sucker over the weekend(Work, kids, and wives..so demanding!).

Ok I finally got a chance to photograph this CPU. Take a look and see if you guys think this is a cracked core! I can try and take another photo from a different angle if this one isn't good enough.

If you click on the red "X", it shows the picture. This is my first time ever posting a photo so I do not know what I screwed up!

Travis Dawes said:
Ok I finally got a chance to photograph this CPU. Take a look and see if you guys think this is a cracked core! I can try and take another photo from a different angle if this one isn't good enough.

If you click on the red "X", it shows the picture. This is my first time ever posting a photo so I do not know what I screwed up!

For others to see (cause its a webpage he linked, and not an image)

90006554_3adfa44bc5.jpg

Can you take a picture of that top resistor on the left side? It looks like there might be damage to it from this picture

mysterfix said:
It looks like it's cracked right down the middle.
Yep, sure does. Man that is an expensive lesson. Always test before you go voiding warranties.

I haven't removed any dual-core heatspreaders, does the core normally look like this? I wouldn't think so.

Would you like a box to burry it in? That looks like a perfect crack down the middle to me. Also looks like damage on upper left part of cpu also. The resister and what looks like a scratch to the right of it. Maybe it is just the lighting or bad pic.

Back