• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 165 appears damaged..need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Midnight Dream said:
For others to see (cause its a webpage he linked, and not an image)

90006554_3adfa44bc5.jpg

Can you take a picture of that top resistor on the left side? It looks like there might be damage to it from this picture

Ok I hope this photo helps.

New Picture

This "crack" is maybe a few thousands of an inch deep. I do not believe the CPU should have this and can only assume I cracked it. The weird part is I did not hear any cracking noise or any noise for that matter when I was installing the CPU. Since this seems to be truly cracked, this is my first OC fatality :(

Yea, there is some damage there. And its not likely for you to hear a crack. The saying "cracked your CPU" is saying you cracked the core, but you wont always (or ever?) hear something. I essentially crushed the corner of my Opty 146 accidentally when my WB slipped and hit it. Never even knew until I tested my comp. And, I still think there is a resistor that is damaged. This time is in the bottom right.

Sorry about the cracked CPU. You now have a $300 paper weight.

You removed the IHS before even trying it out? In my opinion it's not worth it, unless you're looking for a world record overclock or something of that nature. With your 165 you may only get 50 more Mhz out of the CPU with a removed IHS, definately not worth the risk.

You'll love the dual core with Photoshop! Most filters are multiprocessors aware including ACR!

Know what the funny part is, without the IHS it is not even heavy enough to use as a paperweight!

Lesson learned I guess and I am going to have to wait awhile until I get another CPU.

Your loss will not go unheeded. I was slightly tempted to remove the IHS on my 165 but not anymore. Such a hard chip to get hold of cheaply now. :( I feel it for you brother!

Well at least I "helped" somebody. The amazing part is how easily this thing must have cracked. It must have something to do with the expanse of the core. All of my past experiences have been with much smaller cores. Although logically you would think a larger core would be more resistant cracking due to larger surface area diffusing pressure. And FYI there is no damage to any of the resistors. What people are seeing is pieces of rubber from the seal sitting on the pins. Also there is no damage done to the substrate as I used floss and not a razor blade this time!

It could have been cracked all along. I guess we'll never know now.

I was literally minutes away from powering down my pc and ripping off the heatspreaker from my 1 day old opteron 146, but I think I'll leave that for another day now...

Travis Dawes said:
Ok I hope this photo helps.

New Picture

This "crack" is maybe a few thousands of an inch deep. I do not believe the CPU should have this and can only assume I cracked it. The weird part is I did not hear any cracking noise or any noise for that matter when I was installing the CPU. Since this seems to be truly cracked, this is my first OC fatality :(
Dude it looks like some of the resistors are missing on the right side as well, you don't typically see solder pads exposed like that on these chips. I'm pretty sure when I removed the IHS on my 165 there was no bare solder pads.

Maybe someone else who has removed the IHS can chime in on this as I don't want to remove my waterblock to see if I'm right.

What a shame ... *playing taps* . Scared me off of removing the IHS .

Best to grab a new 165 from Monarch before they change the price of the retail 165 ( todays price $317)

MysterFiz there aren't misssing resistors, they were never installed! And Primus that is not my personal car..A gracious friend/client let me drive it aggresively! Thos 75 miles were the MOST FUN ever in a car! My personal ride is a humble ford ranger. I will think about the keychain thing!

Back