• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC P&C 510 SLI or ASL ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyd83

I've decided to replace my dieing psu with a PC P&C 510. I've heard a few ppl metion that the ASL model is better. Would I see much of a difference in a system with say an Opteron 170 and 2x 7800gt (highest graphics card i would consider). The 510 SLI appears to be on sale for $197, so I'm wondering if the ASL model is worth the extra $40.

Also, it looks like they don't have 4 pin mobo connectors for my NF7-S. Can I just buy an adaptor? I'm guessing I can use the 24-20 pin adaptor that I'm using on my current power supply?

asl is the better choice since it has a native 8 pin for some motherboards and prolly most future ones ..

either one it isnt a bad choice .. cuz u could send ur 510 sli back to pcpc and for 25 dollars they will convert it for u to a asl ..

So I'm thinking buy the SLI now while it's on sale, then get it converted when I need it?

sure .. but just remember .. its 25 dollars for them to convert .. plus the shipping back and forth and the downtime .. once they receive it .. it takes them 3 days before shipping it back .. getting the asl seems like its worth the money now instead of the downtime down the road

Then do they make an 8 to 4 pin adaptor so that i can hook it up to my current mobo? Thanks for your responses :)

im sure they do and u can get it from them .. give them a call .. they are very helpful :)

I am curious about this SLI to ASL conversion...what does it entail? It seems that you will have a native 8 pin rather than 4 pin; is this all? Is it a conversion or just straight swap? Does anyone know if AM2 mobos will require 8 pin? If this is the case I will just have them convert whenever it is that I pick up AM2.

the ASL .. is still the 510 sli .. just add asl to the end ..
basically what it does is you get a native 8 pin instead of a 4 pin and having to use an adapter .. it ensures u get the power u need .. even though pcpc said using an adapter u should still be fine

if ur worried about AM2 .. call pcpc .. they pretty much know about the upcoming hardware .. etc

If this stablizes my computer I'll prolly just clock my cpu back up and wait to upgrade to AM2. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Maybe I'll finally do a volt mod for my ram too, poor BH-5 is only running on 2.9v

I didn't see an 8 to 4 pin adaptor on their site, but I'll see what they say. There must be something else besides attaching 4 wires to get an 8 pin, otherwise why would the ASL be $30 more than the SLI?

Edit: Performance-pcs.com is the only site I've found so far with an 8-4 pin adaptor.

Back