• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh, need a little help ocing a 521 here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Uh, need a little help ocing a 521 "G1" here

So, a quick rundown of the hardware is an Abit AA8XE mobo with the latest BIOS, a P4 521 (2.8GHz), an Antec TruePower 550 watt PSU, and some PQI-Turbo DDR2-5400. I've also got a crappy heatsink but it does a decent job as under a full load at 3.43GHz, it only reached 42 c. So, I was able to complete a 8M SuperPie run with 1.4125 volts. As soon as I get to 3.5GHz, I can't seem to get it stable without a ton of voltage, as in more than 1.4625 volts. What in the heck? How much is safe to crank through this chip? Should it really take that much to get safely above 3.5GHz? It seems a little crazy that it would require .05 more volts to hit an extra 70MHz.

Edit1: It was supposed to be an "E0" revision, but after using the latest CPU-Z, it said it was a "G1" revision. The spec code on top is SL8PP. Anyone know anything about these?

Last edited:
Don't know anything about a G1 rev.

are you sure your CPU is limited? what are your memory timings and speed set to?
what PSB did you set it to?

Well, after reading some technical documents on the Intel site, it appears they added two more 64-bit instructions when they changed the "E0" revision to the "G1" revision. They are LAHF and SAHF. It appears the CPU only ocs worse when I increase anything over stock voltage. The RAM is running 1:1, with 1.8 volts, and 4-4-4-12 timings, which are the timings it says you should be running if it's at 666MHz. So I know my RAM isn't the issue. I guess I'll try and sell this chip, and get an "E0" one.

Also, heres is the technical document I found on the Intel site with more info, maybe someone could translate all the technical stuff and let me know what it means.

Attachments

• D0105560.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 75
Back