• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16MB vs 8MB cache?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DvBoard

looking @ HD's and wondering if there would be any performance difference between a 200GB one with 8MB's cache and a 250GB with 16MB's cache? both 7200 RPM.

The 16MB cache should offer some performance gains, but depending on the price, may or may not be worth it.

Scott9027 said:
The 16MB cache should offer some performance gains, but depending on the price, may or may not be worth it.
$69.99 after rebates for both. 8MB one is seagate, 16MB one is maxtor. so in this case the bigger one is better?

If they where both the same brand, then I'd definately go for the one with the bigger cache.

However, I've lost count on how much maxtors have died on me and I'd get the seagate just on those grounds.

Evil_Eye said:
If they where both the same brand, then I'd definately go for the one with the bigger cache.

However, I've lost count on how much maxtors have died on me and I'd get the seagate just on those grounds.
ah, good point, i do like seagates....

Maxtor is a great quality brand. Many people use it and I haven't seen too many failures. I'd say definitely go for the 16mb cache Maxtor.

I've had 3 maxtors die that I personally owned. Never seen a segate die. Well that and they have a 5 year warrenty.

At any rate, go with the bigger cache if the brands do not make a diffrence.

Evil_Eye said:

Ditto, after I had a large group of them died on me. I've stuck to Seagate from then on.

if you go to storagereview.com and check some benchmarks out you'll see that having a 16mb doesn't really mean more performance, infact, the best 7200 HD out right now is the Hitachi with an 8MB cache.

from reading the customer reviews on newegg, seems that the 16mb cache model has some major probs.... as my WD HDD is dying ( as I type ), Im putting my $$$ on another 8MB drive... at least until they figure out these issues w/16mb drives....

I'm thinking that you'd see a larger performance gain on equally large drive sizes with the bigger cache (350+GB) whereas 120-250GB models arent really affected as much. Of course I have done little research into what the drive cache actually does (i'm assuming it stores the location of certain data blocks).

maxtor is horrible quality. i will never again buy one of their drives. no, rather i will pay $10 for a western digital in the future.

maxtors suck, period.

i have 2 maxtor drives currently, and aside form the funny noises i've heard from them @ random intervals, and the fact i had to zero format my 250GB one when i first got it, they've survived.

i just wasn't sure if the 16 on what i've heard called a bad drive will perform as well as the 8 on other drives. but if it doesn't matter than i'll prbly end up getting whatever's on sale for the cheapest money:storage ratio.

Back