• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system needs overclocking - bu t i cant figure out how :-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpmad4it

Registered
Hey

I recently built a new system and so now i want to OC it!

The thing is i have a problem.

I changed the FSB from 800 to 820 (which means the CPU will be running at 205Mhz) the system boots fine but the CPU-Z program still shows my FSB at 800 (200Mhz ). Can anyone tell me why the change is not occurring?

I have tried various settings but it just wont change. What kind of FSB should i be looking to achieve (average not a definate number) with a P4 3.8Ghz LGA775 2MB L2 CPU? Bearing in mind i have air cooling not water cooling. Oh yeah - which program will be able to tell me the temperature of my CPU? I used to use a gigabyte program with my old MB, but i need a program that can tell me the temps on this new MB.

Another thing is a question about my 1GB Mushkin DDR2 800 RAM. With DDR2 RAM there are a couple of new timings that i am not familiar with: the bank cycle time in particular. Also my timings are really high 4, 4, 4, 11, 15 and the ratio is running at FSB:RAM in 15:8?!?!? And my RAM is running at 106.7Mz. Shouldnt it be running at something like 400Mhz if its DDR2 800? What kind of timings (on average) should i be able to achieve with this kind of RAM.

Any help would be great guys,

regards J

JPmad4it - It would help if you listed what hardware you are running. Especially motherboard model, ram, processor, and possible mobo rev. numbers. This way people who have the same stuff can help you. Air cooling should be ok for basic overclocks. You should make sure you have the latest version of cpuz as well as trying cupid. This may help

hondamanslim

P4 3.0E oc'd to 3.6ghz on bios
P4C800-E deluxe mobo
(2) gigs of corsair twinxpc3200 pro c2
(2) WD Raptors running raid 0
Air cooled

Depending on the motherboard brand you should have some monitor software. Asus comes with asus monitor. You should look into motherboard monitor. It works well for me but i rely on thermal sensors and a controller. Motherboard monitor seems accurate and relyable

sorry i forgot this:

asus p5nd2 deluxe SLi motherboard
p4 3.8ghz LGA775 2Mb L2 cache
1gb Mushkin DDR2 800 RAM (pc 6400)
nvidia geforce 7800Gtx

sorry i forgot this:

asus p5nd2 deluxe SLi motherboard
p4 3.8ghz LGA775 2Mb L2 cache
1gb Mushkin DDR2 800 RAM (pc 6400)
nvidia geforce 7800Gtx

thanks for the advice - can anyone give me insight into why the FSB remains at 200 even though i increased it in the BIOS?

im still having problems here. I cant overclock my system :-(

Back