• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YL 120's + Ninja ok for OCing & Benches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dawei213

Would a Yate Loon 120mm case fan with the Scythe Ninja ok when overclocking the 165? How about when benchmarking and under full load? I will be running other fans to pull in cool air and exhaust warm/hot air.

My goal is a fast OC comp that's quiet as well (that's probably everyone's goal, lol).

Ya never know till ya try. I got a Aspire 120mm on my XP-120 and under full load @ 5v (Which moves barely any air) 260x9 w/ 1.49vcore - stable. So I could imagine those yate loons move more air than my fan at that speed. Try it out ;)

Yeah, that's true. I'll have to give it a shot once my chip comes in tonight!

The only reason why I brought that up is because I've seen several instances where other people mention that they would put it on full tilt when Ocing and benching with a delta and slow it down when stable. Being the delta 120's can push 100+ cfm, I thought the YL might not push enough cfm.

dawei213 said:
Yeah, that's true. I'll have to give it a shot once my chip comes in tonight!

The only reason why I brought that up is because I've seen several instances where other people mention that they would put it on full tilt when Ocing and benching with a delta and slow it down when stable. Being the delta 120's can push 100+ cfm, I thought the YL might not push enough cfm.

What model fan did you get?

I use the YL on a Ninja on a 165. At 2610 Dual Prime full load is around 50c. And this is with the case inside of a desk with the only fresh air coming from another YL intake in the front of an Antec 160. You should be fine and it is quite quiet.

As you increase CFM, you hit a diminishing rate of returns. So those trying to squeeze out a couple of extra Cs of cooling have to geometrically increase their airflow. For normal use or moderate overclocking, that combo should be fine.

If you go with a low speed silent fan, it might be better to go with two in a push pull, depending on how noisy they are. Even if the fans aren't moving that much air, a properly set up push-pull will keeps temps low enough to OC while still being relatively noiseless.

Pntgrd said:
I use the YL on a Ninja on a 165. At 2610 Dual Prime full load is around 50c. And this is with the case inside of a desk with the only fresh air coming from another YL intake in the front of an Antec 160. You should be fine and it is quite quiet.

That's definitely good to hear. I'll have to see what the temp will be in the p180 though I don't think it should be that much off from yours.

futura2001 said:
If you go with a low speed silent fan, it might be better to go with two in a push pull, depending on how noisy they are. Even if the fans aren't moving that much air, a properly set up push-pull will keeps temps low enough to OC while still being relatively noiseless.

The Ninja, rising up from the mobo, will stick about 1 1/2 inches or so from the rear exhaust fan blowing out. I'll have another fan on the other side (towards the front of the case) blowing into the Ninja fins, thus creating the push cold air, pull warm air effect.

the Ninja is the type of heatsink that works best with a low CFM fan, it doesnt need a crazy CFM fan to be effective. The Yate loon fan will work fine on your setup even if you overclock. You can stick a higher CFM fan on there, but the extra degrees of cooling will not be worth the much more extra noise. Also, since you are using the Ninja in the P180, then you already have a sort of push pull configuration which is another reason there's no need to go for a louder, higher cfm fan.

The Ninja, rising up from the mobo, will stick about 1 1/2 inches or so from the rear exhaust fan blowing out
Same on the 160. It works just fine in the push/pull and right out the back of the case.

I just installed a Ninja with a D12SL-12 on a 3800+ X2 in my P180 and I'm getting 39C @ 1.45v with both cores fully loaded at 2.5GHz. I also have 2 D12SL-12s in the top and back of the P180 running @ 7v.

Is your D12SL on your Ninja blow UP towards the top fan, or BACK, towards the rear fan?

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Ninja, I have the P180 as well and I'm wondering if it'll work if I put on TWO 120mm fans, one behind it blowing towards TOP exhaust on the P180, and another behind it blowing towards REAR exhaust. It'll be like a double push-pull configuration.

Or would that just interfer with airflow too much?

Shadowknight281 said:
Slightly off-topic, but Nexus has gotten YL to custom-make them their fan in a black/white color. It looks really classy. No one at SPCR knows that it's available from YL directly, so you're stuck with Nexus. Equal to the orange model, and very classy looking IMHO http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/nexus_120mm_bw.html?id=b4Jq53xY
Or you can spend half the money and get the slightly faster BLACK YL D12SL-12:

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

Hmm...ok, I got my opty up and running with no OS installed yet. Last night, I've let the computer run for about an hour to warm up and to monitor the temperature and it was in the range of 38°C to 40°C. I have the fan blowing into the Ninja and out to the rear exhaust fan. The fan speed was around 1200 rpm. Ambient temp was around 24°C. This is also with the side case panel off.

All I need is a thin layer of AS5 right? I didn't remove the IHS. Really don't want to and risk breaking the core.

dawei213 said:
Hmm...ok, I got my opty up and running with no OS installed yet. Last night, I've let the computer run for about an hour to warm up and to monitor the temperature and it was in the range of 38°C to 40°C. I have the fan blowing into the Ninja and out to the rear exhaust fan. The fan speed was around 1200 rpm. Ambient temp was around 24°C. This is also with the side case panel off.

All I need is a thin layer of AS5 right? I didn't remove the IHS. Really don't want to and risk breaking the core.

Wait... after reading this and your other thread I see you saying you don't have any OS installed, which I assume means you were checking the temps in the BIOS. When the computer is in the BIOS it is not idle, its supposedly under about half load (don't ask me why). Load your OS, install the monitoring program of your choice and I'll guarantee you "idle" temps will be lower.

Back