• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me Overclock my FX-8370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In CPU configuration tab everything except HPC mode and (and SVM if you use virtual machines) should be disabled. Also one thing I noticed on my fan tab (still not sure if this is a bug or intended on my motherboard), all the default profiles seem to only go to 100% @70c which is way above the 55c/62c that you need to watch out for on a FX CPU.

Last edited:
In addition to above, CPU LLC should be bumped down at least 1 click. Ultra High is almost never necessary. This will curtail your vcore overshoot.

Couple other things:
HT link speed for FX is 2600 @ stock. You can get that up to speed.
NB frequency you can usually bring up to 2400 without issue.

I bumped LLC down to High and my HT and NB up to 2400. I didn't have an option for 2600 HT link though. I also turned off C&Q and those other settings in there too (except for HPC).

I'll run some stress tests today and get back to you.

Thanks!
~Frohteloss

Last edited:
Give us another SS of Hwmonitor under load and idle. I'd like to see what the LLC is doing now. Hopefully it will stay closer to where you have it set in the BIOS. In addition you may get a few degree drop in temps.

I'm getting Illegal Sumouts on 1 core in P95. I know that means i need to bump voltage. But which? CPU or CPUNB? I already bumped up vcore to 1.456 and LLC is pushing it to 1.476 under load before the illegal sumouts which is higher than i'd like. I'll try CPUNP up a notch and try again. I'd like to be stable before i bother give you all SS's.

What's likely happening is, the Cpu was "stable" with the LLC set at Extreme. Due to of how much it was overshooting the Set Cpu Voltage. You're going to need to figure out how much more you need for stability at this juncture. My only issue is that we changed the Ht link freq and Nb freq so it's not 100% that the stability issue is being caused by low voltage. Though, setting the NB and Ht to stock settings shouldn't be causing an issue. I will say it could be throwing an error with the Nb freq being raised because you're running 16g of ram. Again, I suspect that it's likely an issue with low voltage.

I would put the Cpu Nb voltage back to auto and watch it, if possible, under load. My Fx 8350 had a less then average Imc and I needed a good heaping of Cpu Nb voltage when running more then 8 g of ram or over 1600 Mhz on the memory.

For now I feel concentrate on the Cpu voltage and see whats what. if you're not comfortable at these volts try going back to the 1.44 V and drop the multiplier .5?

Last edited:
CPU/NB voltage is @1.175v in screenshot, isn't that a tad low for 16gb even for stock ?

Here's a few SS's of load and idle. I still got one illegal sumout on a single core, so I'm going to try bumping my CPUNB up a little bit more and try again. Though my temps are still a bit high =(

Load
HWMonitor (4.7 load).png

Idle
HWMonitor (4.7 idle).png

Thanks,
~Frohteloss

CPU/NB voltage is @1.175v in screenshot, isn't that a tad low for 16gb even for stock ?
It does seem a bit low, though I do not know what stock is....Scotty? That's why I feel setting it back to Auto is better.

Frohteloss, you're set at 1.456 Cpu V still? If so i feel dropping down the LLC again and see if we can get it better under control. You're still overshooting the set voltage by a pretty big margin.

In BIOS I'm 1.464 now as I bumped it when I started getting Illegal Sumouts, but I have a feeling from what all you are saying that I might need some more CPUNB voltage and maybe bring back my vcore to 1.456? I'll start with bumping the CPUNB voltage and see if the makes it more stable and then if so, try bring back down my vcore.

CPU/NB voltage @ stock is 1.1v.
When upping the NB frequency the usual step is 1.25v. It's totally safe. Max CPU/NB voltage for 24/7 is 1.4v

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Illegal sum out is usually temps.
Your's are too high. I see 2 cores throttling in your ss.
You will have to dump some vcore and lower your OC to get those down.
I would set your vcore and LLC to give you a solid 1.45v at load, and adjust your overclock to stability in that parameter.

Ok I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. That may force me to be stuck at 4.6 unless bumping up my NB voltage stops me getting the hard freezes at 4.7. Even though 4.7 was my goal, I'd be happy on a 4.6 24/7 oc. Sad I couldn't get my socket temp down even with a bajillion fans for airflow. The Corsair H115i pro helped a lot with core temp though.

Thanks!
~Frohteloss

Ok I took Mr.Scott's advice and lowered my vcore to 1.44 (though it usually shows 1.456 under load), my NB to 1.25, and backed off my oc to 4.6. I ran a stress test and saw my core temp pretty stable at 54c and my socket stayed around 66-68c. So it looks like I'm stuck at 4.6. Even though I was hoping for 4.7, I'm not too terrible disappointed with 4.6. Hopefully this will last me until I save up enough for my big upgrade I'm doing in a few months.

Thanks for all the help everyone! If anyone has any further tips or anything please feel free to share them!
~Frohteloss

Forgive me if this was already addressed, but have you dialed in your memory speed and timings? That's the only other thing I can think of.

I'm just talking overall system performance tuning - it appears the temp issues have been sorted out with posts 52 and 53 respectively... So long as it's not throttling he said he was good at 4.6Ghz and then asked for any other tricks/tips, a farely open ended question: So I responded with the memory dial-in question, my intent was never to address any temp issues, merely to offer up another tip for maximizing system performance as a whole.

Frohteloss can you post up a picture of both CPUz memory and SPD tabs?

I've got my memory speed/timings pretty much where i want them anyways @storm-chaser, but yeah it's the temps I just can't quite keep reigned in. Core temps have been pretty good ever since I put the Corsair H115i Pro in, but the socket temp is what I'm having trouble with. Taking Mr.Scott's advice, I've dialed down my oc and my vcore/nb voltages a bit and my latest stress test had my socket temp around 66-68c. So still not great but at least I didn't see them break 70 during my test.

Of course this is during stress tests. My temps are perfectly fine in idle, basic usage, and even while gaming (as I'm not using all cores @ 100% flat out like a stress test).

Any other suggestions, let me know!

Thanks,
~Frohteloss

Of course this is during stress tests. My temps are perfectly fine in idle, basic usage, and even while gaming (as I'm not using all cores @ 100% flat out like a stress test).

Thanks,
~Frohteloss

Oh Okay. You might consider this "good enough" if it's stable for your purposes, i.e. no crashing during regular everyday usage. Only reason I say this is you may have to throttle back to 4.4 or 4.5 to pass the stability test. That's the only way you are going to lower temps -- decreasing clock speed and/or reducing core voltage. Also put a fan on your VRMs if you haven't already.

The FX chips will tax the power delivery system like no other, that's why its prudent to keep a keen eye on temps, like you are already doing. Cool airflow over the VRMS is essentially a basic requirement for OC longevity...

I believe you stated you had a fan on the backside of the motherboard. You may get a few more degrees off the socket by mounting a 80 mm fan directly on the Vrm heatsink. I know you have a fan pointing at it already but it may make a difference.

@E_D - mine spikes (not bumps) to 4.8ghz (204mhz ?) whenever i put heavy load on it but the 4.9ghz (207mhz) spike is extremely rare. BIOS settings possibly ?

@Frohteloss - I disabled everything energy-efficiency related and tweaked some options in Digi+ that helped with stability (i never really cared about the light bill ;)). My CPU/NB is currently at 1.35v which will bump up slightly with LLC. Rule of thumb if memory serves is to disable everything while you're tuning your OC and then turn some/all of them back on when you have it running 100% ?

View attachment 205485

View attachment 205486

View attachment 205487

One thing I noticed was in his screenie he has his CPU-NB at 2600. While certainly doable with some chips/systems this can and will make a CPU run a little hotter.

Vishera's as a norm really doesn't like it much above 2400 anyway, If you've OC'ed it on the CPU-NB beyond 2400 you can drop it back down to 2400, drop CPU-NB voltage accordingly and check temps that way and see if there is any effect.
What you normally get past 2400 isn't worth the extra heat and stress on the system, esp for everyday use.

Back