• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 7950X overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been playing around with some settings and running Cinebench R23. All Core offset of -35 and a temperature limit of 70 and I get pretty much the same scores as stock speeds. Power is 130 watts vs 180 watts. Boost clocks are the same and running pretty much 5.4 all cores, my chip is a 7900X so clock speeds are alittle lower.

I’ve read through the bios and while all the controls are there to adjust the curve in the GXF curve optimizer I don’t see any start for an automated calibration. Is there a guide to using it? All the guides I’ve seen use Ryzen Master to generate the offsets then you enter the offsets per core by hand in the bios.

Last edited:
I was able to complete a Ryzen Master:
default Curve Optimizer Per Core run at -25 with these results
Co1 -11 co2 -9 co3 -11 co4 -3 co5 -11 co6 -7 co7 -11 co8 -11 co9 -11 co10 -11 co11 -11 co12 -11 co13 -11 co14 -11 co15 -11 co16 -11

so what would be the next step? Apply the values in bios? Cinebench scores at default were just about = to previous EXPOII scores tested both EXPOI & EXPOII profiles EXPOI scored highest at 36960 muilti and 1954 single MP Ratio 18.54 x ACBDBE57-9AB9-4EC5-92D8-ED98EAAA4CC6.jpeg
5E877519-D9F4-49DD-8041-452A30D26A83.jpeg

Last edited:
Well save those values then! Make sure auto OC is at +200 and re-enable EXPO I. If it's stable then you're done I think.

The advice to use the BIOS is because most users here don't do the auto thing, mainly for the reasons you were having issues with, causes instability, all kinds of stuff. I believe most of the advice given was to set the actual manual curve and that's where a bit of miscommunication happened. But if it worked out, and you can re-enable everything.

What score were you expecting and where did you see it?

Well save those values then! Make sure auto OC is at +200 and re-enable EXPO I. If it's stable then you're done I think.

The advice to use the BIOS is because most users here don't do the auto thing, mainly for the reasons you were having issues with, causes instability, all kinds of stuff. I believe most of the advice given was to set the actual manual curve and that's where a bit of miscommunication happened. But if it worked out, and you can re-enable everything.

What score were you expecting and where did you see it?
Well I was expecting 38 to 39 but only got to 37, but after 30 min Cinebench run to check stability it finished but then crashed so I set it back from EXPOI to auto. Seems stable but I’m running the Core-cycler bat file from the guide I linked that uses Ycruncher to stress test each core in order, if one crashes you go in and adjust that core down 5 then retest

if I set to “auto overclock“ where would I check to make sure it’s at +200?

Last edited:
Wow that sounds complicated, but could be fun depending on your idea of a good time.

Am I understanding that it was stable before and not on EXPO1, or did you not fully stability test until enabling EXPO1, and then experienced a crash?

When you get something stable/you like, make sure you save it to a profile, so you don't have to re-do time consuming work if your next change messes things up.

Okay so I can see how this was super confusing and I'm sorry (since what you're doing is applying some sort of automatic overclock program over and over, and I kept referring to Auto OC). In my defense I did mention that I was working off of older references. Apparently your board uses the following settings (under the Advanced tab, AMD Overclocking menu)
74ROG CROSSHAIR X670E Series BIOS Manual

CPU Boost Clock Override
Increases (Positive) or Decreases (Negative) the maximum CPU frequency that may
be automatically achieved by the CPU Boost Algorithm.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled (Positive)] [Enabled (Negative)]

The following item appears only when CPU Boost Clock Override is set to [Enabled
(Positive)].

Max CPU Boost Clock Override(+)
Increases the maximum CPU frequency that may be automatically achieved by the
Precision Boost 2 algorithm. Use the <+> or <-> to adjust the value. The values range
from 25 to 200 with an interval of 25.
Configuration options: [Auto] [0] - [200]

The above setting will allow the CPU to boost 200MHz higher when possible given the other parameters of power draw and temperature. You might not necessarily see it, you're just raising the cap. When everyone says to go +200, this is what they mean.

Also it would be super helpful if you could put the system specs into your signature, especially now that this is a multiple page thread, it would save people having to refer back to the OP and then click an outside link.

Wow that sounds complicated, but could be fun depending on your idea of a good time.

Am I understanding that it was stable before and not on EXPO1, or did you not fully stability test until enabling EXPO1, and then experienced a crash?

When you get something stable/you like, make sure you save it to a profile, so you don't have to re-do time consuming work if your next change messes things up.

Okay so I can see how this was super confusing and I'm sorry (since what you're doing is applying some sort of automatic overclock program over and over, and I kept referring to Auto OC). In my defense I did mention that I was working off of older references. Apparently your board uses the following settings (under the Advanced tab, AMD Overclocking menu)
74ROG CROSSHAIR X670E Series BIOS Manual

CPU Boost Clock Override
Increases (Positive) or Decreases (Negative) the maximum CPU frequency that may
be automatically achieved by the CPU Boost Algorithm.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled (Positive)] [Enabled (Negative)]

The following item appears only when CPU Boost Clock Override is set to [Enabled
(Positive)].

Max CPU Boost Clock Override(+)
Increases the maximum CPU frequency that may be automatically achieved by the
Precision Boost 2 algorithm. Use the <+> or <-> to adjust the value. The values range
from 25 to 200 with an interval of 25.
Configuration options: [Auto] [0] - [200]

The above setting will allow the CPU to boost 200MHz higher when possible given the other parameters of power draw and temperature. You might not necessarily see it, you're just raising the cap. When everyone says to go +200, this is what they mean.

Also it would be super helpful if you could put the system specs into your signature, especially now that this is a multiple page thread, it would save people having to refer back to the OP and then click an outside link.
will do about my pc specs

After running Ryzen Master Optimizer I did not run a stress test. I ran a quick bench to see which one would score higher then my plan was to run a 30 min stress test. After picking EXPOI I ran a 30 min stress test. it became unstable. Eventually it wasn’t even stable on auto overclock. So I had to reset the c-mos and re-enter core values to restore. I tried doing a per core stress test using the Core-cycler program to adjust the under-volt to make it stable. Spent all day adjusting Cores never was able to get it stable.

Ended up setting to EXPOII profile with all other settings Auto except CPU COR RATIO: Ai Optimized. That is what I received the best scores on previously. Ran a 30 min stress test passed no problem, but to my surprise I got the best score of all the setting. I’m sure I ran the tests on that profile before but may have not had the Ai optimization.

DC5A3DFE-496C-4F1D-894B-C968FDF420A9.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest getting away from the automatic settings and stress testing each change, then you know what caused the instability. If you're happy and stable where you are, then as always feel free to just run it!

You should be aware that cinebench (and any bench mark) is going to exhibit some run to run variability, so if you're comparing a difference of say less than 500 points (idk exactly for R23 because I never wanted to wait that long with my older hardware), you can expect it to possibly be caused by margin of error. I would usually average three runs (without getting into any actual statistics like standard deviation) and re-run any obvious outliers.

I would also suggest stopping this automagic stuff, IMHO it's leading to instability and causing more hassle than it's worth. Instead I would:

0.5) Reset bios defaults before starting anything. Can stress test here to make sure ;) because you never nkknow.

1) Stress test expo 1 and expo 2, if both are stable at stock, then you can take the obviously more aggressive profile or do tests to see if it matters. If neither are stable, STOP and come back here for advice.

2) Set curve optimizer to something mid range like -20 for all cores. Stress test. If stable decrease by 5 (i.e. -25, wording is confusing since you're increasing the "overclock" but decreasing the actual setting), if not stable go the other direction (i.e. -15). Keep doing this until you've found the maximum stable setting. You are free to then repeat the process for each core (but without hands on experience, I think starting from a stable all core setting would be helpful) or call it super good enough.

3) Set the rest of the stuff like PBO (keeping the scalar at 1x unless you have thermal headroom) and Boost Clock Override.

4) Profit.

I’m not sure what your EXPOI and II profiles do but when I select them all the other settings are auto unless you change them.

When you say default settings, for me on the Extreme Tweaker bios options there is only Auto, manual, EXPOI, and EXPOII options. Do you set it to manual? and not change any settings?

I have tried -30-20-10-5 Curve Optimizer settings on Auto, EXPOI, and EXPOII profiles with no luck all crashed as soon as I logged in, but my motherboard is acting different now so I might try it again.

Below is my bios info from the manual my chipset doesn’t show D.O.C.P. or AEMP options

C58727A0-FE5C-4EEE-8F64-2C9F1E84BC6B.png

Usually under exit you can say reboot and save changes, reboot and discard changes, or something like restore default settings.

Back