• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1333fsb Available for Conroe In 975Xs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that's a huge leap. just because the board will do 333fsb doesn't mean it'll support a chip with a whole new architecture. give up wringing your hands and just wait for the real info.

I would wait for absolute confirmation from Intel themselves before splurging on a D975XBX based motherboard based on potential Conroe support.
Considering the specs of the motherboard it does appear to support Conroe, but everything right now is basically rumour and hearsay.

Here is some more interesting info:
Intel Conroe desktop CPU is expected to be released in July. Conroe is a dual core CPU based around the Merom architecture but optimised for the desktop market by removing some of the power constraints from Merom in order to increase performance. Like Merom, Conroe will feature a 14-stage pipeline and will be a 4-issue core. Conroe will additionally feature virtualization capabilities, LaGrande technology and 64-bit capability in addition to EDB, EIST and iAMT2. Conroe will be available in two forms - with 4MB of shared L2 cache and with 8MB of L2 cache (an 'Extreme Edition' perhaps) and is expected to run at a clock speed of 2.4Ghz or higher.
Intel Merom Mobile processor, the successor to Jonah and part of the Santa Rosa platform, is expected to be released in September on a 65nm process. Merom is a Dual Core CPU combining the architecture of NetBurst and the Pentium-M to achieve both high performance and lower power consumption. Merom utilises the FSB and EM64T of NetBurst, but is largely based around the Pentium M architecture. The CPU is a 4-issue design (compared to the 3 issue cores of the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4 architectures) with a 14 stage pipeline - significantly shorter than that of NetBurst CPUs (from 20 in Willamette to 31 stages in Prescott). The shorter pipeline will ensure that Merom and it's derivatives will not clock as high as Precott, but it will likely clock as fast or faster than the Athlon 64 - i.e. around 3Ghz. However, the IPC of Merom is likely to be better than the Athlon 64 due to it's 4 issue superscalar design and vastly better than the P4. Merom will feature 4MB of L2 cache shared between the two cores and will feature a direct L1 to L1 cache transfer system between the L1 caches of each of the cores to improve performance. Merom will also feature a number of enhances prefectching schemes to enhance the use of the caches. Merom is expected to launch at a clock speed of 2.33Ghz.

thegreek said:
Here is some more interesting info:
Source? I think that info's old and innacurate. Someone from the Inq. confirmed a 3.33 Conroe only a few weeks ago.
Plus, AFAIK, there is no Jonah Mobile Processor. :rolleyes:

Who said:
Source? I think that info's old and innacurate. Someone from the Inq. confirmed a 3.33 Conroe only a few weeks ago.
Plus, AFAIK, there is no Jonah Mobile Processor. :rolleyes:
The Yonah name came from Jonah, you know the guy from the bible.

Someone from the Inq. confirmed a 3.33 Conroe only a few weeks ago
The 3.33GHz is the Conroe XE @ (333FSB). The "low end" is 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz and 3.2GHz all at 266FSB. The regular Conroes are 2M L2 and the XE is 4M L2 from everything I've seen. 8M L2 would be sick (especially shared), but I think that's wishful thinking...

I didn't even read page 2 link up there (sorry ;)), but did it say something about a "2nd revision" 975X chipset supporting Conroe? That's what I heard could happen, but there's a 985 chipset slated for the Conroe XE and 965 for all others...just figured I'd wait for the 985.

i do wish they would state what chipset supports what cpu... kinda funny though how asus/gigabyte/(who else?) have mobo's with 865 chipset using dual core cpus... :argue: cause i do remember when intel stated 8x5 chipsets would not support newer cpu's but a few out there said they would..

Evilsizer said:
i do wish they would state what chipset supports what cpu... kinda funny though how asus/gigabyte/(who else?) have mobo's with 865 chipset using dual core cpus... :argue: cause i do remember when intel stated 8x5 chipsets would not support newer cpu's but a few out there said they would..

Me too....I think I'm holding on to a "wing and a prayer" for Conroe support. But looking at recent history of Intel "stickin'" to folks chipset/CPU-wise lately, I'm pretty sure it's hopeless :(

The 1333FSB thing is probly a gimmick to cash in on the 975X chipset a little. I pray I'm wrong though.

Nasgul said:
Yeah! but what P4 or PD will be able to handle 333fsb on stock? AFIK Conroe is the only one rummored to have a 333fsb. And 266 also?

Conroe is based on Dothan and Netburst, not necessarily a NEW architecture I would say? :shrug:

A board supporting a FSB doesn't mean it'll support upcoming chips just because they will run at that FSB. Huge jump.

Who cares what architectures it was "based" on? That's just simple-talk for us non-techies. It's a new architecture.

^^ Exactly. It's part CoreDuo too, would you put it in a 945P chipset if the socket was right? That's why I'd opt for the 965 or 985 chipset even IF a 975X version would support it. Conroe will be way different internally and the chipset optimized/designed for it will be a "must" for best performance.

975X chipset might support it, but mobos don't, LOL. I've been hearing rumors of a second revision 975X and that almost seems to me like that post is confirming it. 975X chipset and socket will work, but obviously mobos need hardware updates in addition to BIOS.

Ross said:
975X chipset might support it, but mobos don't, LOL. I've been hearing rumors of a second revision 975X and that almost seems to me like that post is confirming it. 975X chipset and socket will work, but obviously mobos need hardware updates in addition to BIOS.
just like the LGA775 865 with Dual core support....

Intel has already stated publicly that the 965 and 985 chipsets will be the ones that support Conroe. The 965 chipset mobo's will be for all models that are non XE chips, and the 985 will be spoecifficly geared to the XE Conroe variety.

Intels thinking has always been to design a complete solution. They don;t want old mobo's working with new architechture. They want optimized chipsets and motherboards working together with new architechture.

The package will arrive pretty much together. Just like the 975x arrived with the CM's and Presslers. 975x's are for CM's and Pressler's.

965 and 985's are for Conroe's. Complete solution. Bug free solution. Fully functional, complete, bug free solution. They are not into backwards compatibility...only forward thinking and performance.

Back