• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI any downsides to watercooling chipset and MOSFETs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sxxb

I've already purchased waterblocks for MOSFETs, Northbridge and Southbridge. But now I'm having second thoughts about removing stock heatpipe because I've seen posts from people here saying that these components run cool with stock hardware and without optional fan.

The downsides of cooling the above mentioned components in addition to CPU and GPU are threefold as far as I can see:
1 - Four additional waterblocks(2 mosfets, NB, SB) will warm up water more and probably add a couple degrees to processor temps.
2 - Four additional block will require more work for the waterpump, most likely decreasing the flow rate
3 - MOSFET water blocks are 1/4 OID and the rest of my system is 3/8 OID. THerefore, I will have to use two reducers - one before the MOSFET water blocks and one after to go back to 3/8 tubing just before the radiator. Not sure how bad using reducers is for the flow rate/preassure drop, etc.

I would like to hear some OPINIONS on this and your VOTE:
A-watercool everything
B-only watercool CPU and GPU
C-makes no significant difference either way.

Thanks MUCH!

Serge

A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Opteron 165 2654MHz (295x9 @1.4875v on stock air..awaiting WC install)
42deg idle/53deg burn
2x1024 3500LLPro 2.5-3-2-6/490Mhz/2.7V
eVGA 7800 GTX (470/1200 stock)
2xHitachi T7K250 in RAID0
Antec P-180 / Seasonic S12-600 PSU
WC (install in progress):
Asetek Waterchill Extreme Dual Kit
DangerDan Chipset Waterblocks
Alphacool MOSFET Waterblocks

Last edited:
Flow rate will suffer. In my opinion, you are right to doubt the value of watercooling these components. Just stick with the heatpipe solution that came with the board.

I vote B, emphatically and loudly.

Back