• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you benchmark?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Why do you benchmark?

• Total voters
I would define the fourth option as actively looking to score high in respective classes. Someone, for example, who buys an FX60 and an X1900XT(X)/X Fire, but puts them on air or water would go better in option three. Fourth option would be someone purposefully buying a cheaper card just for the sake of taking a class record or something along those lines.

First two choices are for the sane. :)

4 for myself, i always try for records when i buy a card. Hopefully soon i can put this 754 setup under dry ice so i can see what type of scores i can crank outta this :p

Started out for me pushing low dollar hardware, then the 01 addiction kicked in with Radeon 9500. I wanted to reach the top and came very close, but I wasn't into that #2 spot ;)

Now its an expensive hobby. Sometimes I think I'll just wrap it all up and the next thing you know I'm buying some high dollar hardware. Being in Seattle also requires an indoor hobby in the winter, unless your a fish.

well being a 17 yr old student, i dont have the money for a FX60 system, so buying low end products and pushing them to the max is what i do it for.

hehe For purely competitive purposes

i raced off road bikes since i was 11

but since i have a little boy of 3 now am not allowed to get injured and have time off work

and this sport is easily as intense as any motor sport i have compeated in

> " To provide a reasonable comparison against other systems " <

Exactly! For me benches are only to see how well my system is performing by comparring
to others with similar set ups.

Never have I been one of those who live & die by their benchmarks. Top scores are all too ephemeral.

To see how high I can push my score, and see how good my system is compared to others, it's a lot of fun!

to see how far I can push my score, how much I can tweak the hardware past spec, and it's a god feeling of competition, holding the 3dMark06 record for Intel systems on ORB.

Mainly to see how high I can put a score. I tend to aim tward getting high scores, but its even better getting high scores in my class. Just seeing how much I can do it without much tweaking is great, but who knows might try tweaking my score shortly to see how well I can do :)

1 and 2 for me.

make sure all is well

its a great comparison to see if everything is running good and where your system is in the grand "scheme" of computing...

and its fun to see how high you can go, although the limits are reached quickly on air cooling :p

my answer will flipflop between the first two choices depending on the day of the week. ;)

None of the above...
Set a target score, and try and reach it... More of a proof to myself it can be done rather than for comeptition...
If it so happens the score I'm after is top in the class/world or whatever then so be it...

im torn between 2 and 4...

as Maxi said, i often question myself about this pastime but then some new hardware comes out and im right there near the front of the line to buy the newest and best (@ ridiculous prices) :bang head which intern necessitates an upgrade of some other part of my rig :rolleyes:

think im going #4... since, as of late, im just shooting to beat Maxi ;)

PS
i also like to think that i can get some people interested in FOLDing through having HIGH bench scores.

4 and 2, in that order

Dragged race as a kid, Performance engineering as an adult. Faster is always better in everything you do......well as my wife says "almost anything"

I wish there was multiple options becuase I woudl say 2,3,4.

I don't care about comparing performance becuase all that matters is that I am faster than you;)(ussually) but I probably should vote to show off becuase everytime I get a decent hardware setup I kill something and so I spend most of my benching time waiting for new funds and repaired thingies.

Back