• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Opteron 144-146-148 really the best deal out there now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SStrokerAce

Yeah they are the only 1Mb cache CPU's out there in this range and they obviously can overclock like a champ, but they have turned into $200+ chips.... and the 148 is more expensive than a San Diego 3700+ which can basically be considered a similar/same CPU

So are the Venice CUP's the only real deal out there considering that a 3200+ is $170 range while current prices on a 146 (if you can find them) are $220+.

Is that 512kb cache worth it for $50 more?

I've seen some sick clock speeds out of both the 939 Venice and the 939 Opteron.... and with the lack of supply did the tables turn back?

Why did I have to start my build a month too late!

No, the 512k of cache is not worth the extra $50.00
If you are on a budget, a Venice should be fine.
A better option would be to pick up a used Venice or Opteron that got good results from someone on the forums instead of buying one new. With so many people switching to dual core CPUs now, you should be able to pick up someone's excellent single core CPU for a good price, but you are going to have to make 65 more posts before you can use the classifieds...

I would suggest checking out the following link:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=431769

Unfortunatly, Flickerdown's link doesn't seem to be working anymore. :( The guy who works/owns the place goes by the forum name dave_graham I believe. Send him a PM and might be able to hook you up.

If you can find a Socket939 Opteron144 $160 or under, I would say go for it!

In real world, everyday applications (ie. Word, Internet, gaming), you won't see much of a difference with the 512kb cache. Meaning if I gave you two black boxes and ask you to tell me which one is which, you will not be able to.

The Opterons will be a better overclocker because they are engineered to be more stable and have a higher tolerance because of their use as a server CPU and not a general commercial CPU.

I've seen Davids site....

Old Price New Pricing (1/23/2006)

OSA144BNBOX BOX $132.00 $175.35 Model 144 1.8Ghz, 939pin, 67.0W, 1 MB Cache step E4
OSA146BNBOX BOX $146.00 $219.45 Model 146 2.0Ghz, 939pin, 67.0W, 1 MB Cache step E4
OSA148BNBOX BOX $232.00 $268.80 Model 148 2.2Ghz, 939pin, 85.3W, 1 MB Cache step E4

Didn't know about the classifieds being locked to me.. dam

Yep, you need 100 posts to read classifieds.

If you plan on OCing, then it'll be worth it to get an Opteron for $50 more and having the extra cache as well. I'd say the 144, 146, and 148 should be able to hit 2.7-2.8ghz stable, maybe 2.9ghz, while the A64s can do around 2.6-2.7ghz and maybe 2.8ghz. It's about an overall 100mhz-150mhz difference between the Opterons and A64s when OCed to it's highest, but with the extra cache and the 100mhz, that may be worth paying the extra $50.

I would have to vote Venice.

One of the great things about the Opterons was that when they first came out they were selling for less than the Venice core, overclocked like crazy and had the extra cache. With current pricing I would have to say that AMD is accomplishing what they set out to do and that is to discourage the use of low-end S939 Opterons on the desktop. I don't think that you can justify the additional cost of the Optys anymore, especially if you are working within a budget.

If money is no object, then for sure go for the Venus over the Venice.

Back