• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Raid or Not to Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VooDooShot

Registered
ok just got my stuff from newegg ( a day early )
2 sata seagates 120g each 8m cache 7200 do i have to use raid ? if so is 0 the best ? i only ask cause i set new drives up for wife in raid 0 two maxtors 200g each and when all was done i ended up with one 379g drive ? lost a few somehow
if i use 0 should i set up a few formats to seperate them?

i set wifes up to really practice and test the raid yet now she wont let me touch it to take the raid off to see if i can use without raid

Since you already do have the pair, I would put them in as Raid 0. You'll get some speed improvements..
VooDooShot said:
i only ask cause i set new drives up for wife in raid 0 two maxtors 200g each and when all was done i ended up with one 379g drive ? lost a few somehow
A 200gb Drive is not 200gb in reality. So her seeing 379GB sounds right.
(This is because, for marketting, and simplicity, they calculate 1gb beeing 1000mb, when in reality it is 1024.)

lol if you want speed go raid 0 if u want to protect your files from cruption or so go raid 1 if u want both then go raid 0+1(but u will need another hd like 240 if they make them or just get 2 more of the same size) hope this helps :)

ya i decided to go with 0 also
yet when i did hers i could still make diff formats ( i did then went back and made one) wanted to go back and make a 100 and two 50s yet she wouldnt let me :)

so is it better in 0 to make one large or 2 or 3 formats

On my raid 0, i'm running windows xp and freebsd. I would run linux but I hear it is a pain to setup for nvraid. Anyways, I made 3 40gb partitions for windows. Because the performance varies across the drive, I try to install games in the spots on the drive where the performance is higher and place the pagefile there. On the other hand, in theory this could hamper performance if some of the data is far apart on the drive and it has to constnatly travel back and forth.

Back