• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AOL and Yahoo put price on e-mail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
threeme2189 said:
stupid idiots. don't they understand that people wont use emails that get spam?

No, they understand the circumstances perfectly. People will use the system they are paying for, and think that its great. The comercials even say so. People bake them cakes for all their hard work.

People who aren't computer saavy DON'T know that there are alternatives, and don't know how to get them. We all think that everyone knows everything about how AOL sucks and google is teh pwn. But thats not the case. Most people use their Comcast email if they bought Comcast. Most people are resistant to change, and unsure of how.

Actually, the idea of charging for email has been around for quite some time. Remember that spam works because it is free. Hardly anyone actually buys anything from spammers but they send out so much of the stuff that they get quite a few customers anyway.

Now, if they had to pay a penny to get through a block like that, they would never send another spam out again. They would probably send email out to the people who had already bought stuff from them because there would be some chance of getting money back but to ten million random addresses? I don't think that anyone is going to spend a hundred thousand dollars to send email to the 9,999,000 people who will never respond.

Of course there is going to be a problem with legit operations like listservers but that can be taken care of with some type of friend list. Hopefully one that is customer controlled.

I didn't get ANY spam for the longest time.. like.. 8 months. I've recieved 10 total, all caught by the spam filter. There are only like two different messages that I've recieved.. just multiples.

Oh well.. It can't be perfect forever, I guess..

yeah, i've been getting some really wierd spam lately, it's not even trying to sell anything (i think) it's just a pile of gibberish random characters...

Did you guys actually read the article? Maybe I misunderstood it, but what I read was that companies could pay for their legitimate emails to make sure they got to the customers. As in, only mail that passes the can-spam bill. Not for your bulk illegal junkmailer to bypass everyone's filters.

i know have an alternative to email thanks to this wonderful site. mercury hosted on a windows machine.

i will have my own email server, you guys can reach me at [email protected] :)

if i ever get this email server up per (diggingforgolds sticky and guide) i would like to offer emails to ocforums finest.

Back