• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my biggest hope for am2 is.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawtrawkr

that along with the ddr2/hsf bracket change i would love to see amd stop shipping retail chips with the crappy green cpu holder that seems to dissolve upon eyecontact (and over exageration here but not by much things a joke). im to lazy to count up how many retail a64 chips ive ordered over the past couple years and this has just been annoying me lately. 3 out of the last 5 cpus ive ordered have come with the green packaging severly compromised and by severly compromised i mean that when i opened the box after it arrives to pull out the cpu box to see the week/stepping the chip is i cant because they are no longer in the window but floating around in the box somewhere.

I doubt the CPUs will drop by much, when we moved from skt754 to skt939, the skt754 CPUs didn't drop for a while. Plus if they drop the prices on skt939, that'll persuade more and more people to stay with skt939 since the early AM2 CPUs usually would be high end expensive ones.

Has anyone ever had the green packaging material not explode?

When I got my 144, I thought the green stuff was packing peanuts. As such, they did their job well.

I'm hoping clock speeds start climbing again.

I'm all for optimizing, but anyone who's been around the game for a while remembers when 1GHZ was finally, and how amazing that seemed.

I'm hoping AMD can make it to 4 ghz with AM2. Pure speed with AMD efficency would be most execellent.

Socket 939 was my first AMD setup after 15+ lifetime Intel, and I'm in the AMD camp until Intel can convice me otherwise.

I think I got lucky with my 148. The green packaging was in only two pieces after neatly splitting down the middle...
I think I would rather see unlocked multipliers across the board, or at least in reasonably priced gray market enthusiast chips such as the mobile athlons a few years back. Unlocked multipliers just aren't worth the $800-1000 AMD seems to think their FX series chips are worth.

Bob Vila said:
Has anyone ever had the green packaging material not explode?

When I got my 144, I thought the green stuff was packing peanuts. As such, they did their job well.

Ya i was disapointed that it didnt explode. I was looking forward to what everyone hates so much, which is the green explosion. I opened my my 148 box and saw this organic/recycled packaging and i thought hmm time to watch it explode. So i grabbed it and twisted and bent and it didnt explode just bent and cracked.... i wanted to cry :( All in all this is the only thing i was dissapointed about in my order... well except when it comes to rendering :bang head

i think the am2 will see some increased clocks but more because of the 65nm process than the new socket looks like hte new socket adds ddr support and not alot else. the 775 array provided more and better power to the p4 lineup and as such helped some of the cpus clock higher. imho the correct thing to do was sit down with the cpu design and ask why its taking so much damn power lol.

yea, the a-xp's 2500+ and above sell for like $100+ on ebay. same with skt 754 and 939, i doubt they will go down ;(

hawtrawkr said:
that along with the ddr2/hsf bracket change i would love to see amd stop shipping retail chips with the crappy green cpu holder that seems to dissolve upon eyecontact (and over exageration here but not by much things a joke). im to lazy to count up how many retail a64 chips ive ordered over the past couple years and this has just been annoying me lately. 3 out of the last 5 cpus ive ordered have come with the green packaging severly compromised and by severly compromised i mean that when i opened the box after it arrives to pull out the cpu box to see the week/stepping the chip is i cant because they are no longer in the window but floating around in the box somewhere.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

I am so tired of those things disintegrating. I get customers complaining about it all the time (rightfully so) but it's a royal pain for us, because there's nothing I can do about it, and it costs me a ton of time and money trying to get it all fixed with AMD. I have 4 Opterons sitting here that were messed up in shipping that I've got to get resolved... I wish they'd make that packaging a bit more robust to say the least.

Last edited:
Hhahahaha omg i was just thinking about this as i looked over and saw this crappy green thing when i was looking at my CPU box for some information... They are terrible it looks like they buy them in bulk from a dump then use them as temporary dog toys!

Bump.

I noticed the packaging on the FX series, or any series with the heatpipe cooler is even worse, since they make the green part even thinner.

With the FX-57 I had, the green packaging had cracks. I got an FX-60 today, and the whole green packaging was completey destroyed into flakes. Pieces were randomly laying in the box. Luckily the cpu was in right spot still.

We all need to contact AMD and let them know how bad the situation is with this.

My packaging for my Opty 144 had a giant hole punctured through it, though the box wasn't even opened. Looked like someone got a little happy over an Opty ;)

I had heard of this phenomena previously but have not witnessed it personally, that is exploding green stuff. I have received a 3200 + Venice and Opteron 148; in both cases the green packaging material was entirely without defect. I think the question you guys need to ask is what is happening to your proc during shipping; it sounds like someone is using the box for a rugby ball! This would not surprise me either. The last time I shipped computer hardware via FedEx at the office as I was handing over the package, the lady throws it at the bin like she is Brett Farve or something. This is immediately following me informing her that it contained electronics equipment...

jpersinger said:
I had heard of this phenomena previously but have not witnessed it personally, that is exploding green stuff. I have received a 3200 + Venice and Opteron 148; in both cases the green packaging material was entirely without defect. I think the question you guys need to ask is what is happening to your proc during shipping; it sounds like someone is using the box for a rugby ball! This would not surprise me either. The last time I shipped computer hardware via FedEx at the office as I was handing over the package, the lady throws it at the bin like she is Brett Farve or something. This is immediately following me informing her that it contained electronics equipment...

Like I said the main problem I think is with CPUs that come with the heatpipe cooler, which is larger, and therefore makes the green packaging MUCH thinner. Likewise, the heatsink is heavier.

The opteron I had was fine, but this FX 60, the heatsink demolished the green packaging.

Hmm, thus far I've had pretty good luck with the packaging on the retail chips. I imagine combining the heavier weight of the hs with the thinner material definitely has something to do with the packaging ariving in such a thrashed state. Has anyone had their chip physically damaged because the packaging got busted up?

Back