• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wheeee (RAID0)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L337 M33P

I can now saturate my PCI bus :D

wwwwSPEEED.PNG

Silicon Image SiI3114 PCI SATA controller
2xWD3200JD SATA-150 drives with 16k stripe

600GB of storage for a few £ more than a raptor. Heh.

Can't you run them off the southbridge controller?

Here's my PCI bus maxed out on my file server:
hdtachf0jf.gif

It's a RAID 5 array so I have to leave it on the PCI bus.

hey, so if i have 4x250gb in a RAID 5, does windows see it as a 1tb hard drive or just as 1 250gb hdd with redundancy? im lost here

("number of drives" - 1) x "capacity of smallest drive" = RAID 5 array size

("number of drives" - 2) x "capacity of smallest drive" = RAID 6 array size

RAID 5 allows one failed drive, RAID 6 allows two.

So four 250GB drives in RAID 5 would give you 750GB of space.

Six 250GB drives in RAID 5 would give you 1.25TB.

The more drives you add, the cheaper it gets (well, in terms of drives - the controllers get more expensive).

well my board has the awesome silicon 3112 chip which is RAID 5 capable, not ready to step up to a 3ware or anything for that high of a RAID. not to mention that this is an end user desktop computer hehe. thanks for clearing this up for me. so i can use 5x250gb and have 1tb storage space in a RAID 5 array?

zeimbo said:
well my board has the awesome silicon 3112 chip which is RAID 5 capable, not ready to step up to a 3ware or anything for that high of a RAID. not to mention that this is an end user desktop computer hehe. thanks for clearing this up for me. so i can use 5x250gb and have 1tb storage space in a RAID 5 array?
Are you sure it's not the 3114? The 3112 only has two ports, and you need at least three to do RAID 5.

The 3114 has four ports.

So if you have the 3114 you could run four 250GB drives for a 750GB array. Or three 320GB drives for a 960GB array.

Sil controllers are software RAID 5, meaning that reads will be OK but writes are slow.

JCLW said:
Are you sure it's not the 3114? The 3112 only has two ports, and you need at least three to do RAID 5.

The 3114 has four ports.

So if you have the 3114 you could run four 250GB drives for a 750GB array. Or three 320GB drives for a 960GB array.

Sil controllers are software RAID 5, meaning that reads will be OK but writes are slow.

i thought about that later after i typed it and didnt feel like getting a flashlight to look. but it is the 3114 chip. wait, wouldnt 3x320gb drives in raid 5 only be 640gb's? so windoes does see it as one large drive tho correct? youre right tho, i cant add the 5th or 6th drives because it only has 4 ports but thats pretty good for being on the mobo no? thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated

Back