• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ghettocomp, a question(S) (caseless borgs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Your pictures, you got many a borgs laying bare. I have never done so, so a few questions.

They sell switches that you can hook up to turn on and off the rig? link?

In this post, you talked of using 1 psu for many rigs, how would this be possible? to add additional 24 pin plugs?

What else would need done?

They sell power splitters for 20 and 24pin PSUs, somewhat
pricey IMHO but they do work. Personally, I believe it works
better for AMD type motherboard setups. I am not sure how well a
P4 can be supported. The only real trick is to start BOTH the motherboards
AT THE SAME TIME. if one board is started the other sometimes
wont boot (my experience) I also would recommend that both motherboards
sharing a PSU to be exactly the same.

Somewhere in my Mini-HTPC thread I had a small blurb on setting stuff up like that.

So for all those rigs in your closet, you made switches for them to turn them on and off?
the cheapest I found is this one.

http://www.parts4pc.com/products/CON-6310.html

http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

Now when I go to mouser.com, the switches would cost me around 1.30. The molex plug? I see your packaging, but I cant for the life of me find the molex.
(so effectivly, it looks cheaper to buy them completed. I will call my rep at mouser tomorrow and see if he can find them for me. Then maybe I can buy in bulk and sell some back to make some case. ebay baby!

Forgot to add, as far as switches to turn on the motherboards, I dont have any. I just use a screwdriver or paperclip to short the pins for startup. The first time I start one I set the bios to restart the motherboard after power fail. Usually they will restart when the PSU is turned on after being turned off. There is a company out there, I dont remember where, that makes mini-pin setups that include all switches, leds for those headers.

I did make up some switches once like these:
button24.jpg

Made using these mini molex connectors
button23.jpg

using a cheap doorbell button, or anything from radidio shack
button10.jpg

and the looks if used normally can be fairly decent. This doorbell button was
modified to include a blue led to show the power on.
Box47.jpg

I once hooked up a doorbell on the horn to my 1974 F150...my dad called it a "puetarican horn". He knew a kid growing up in chicago that had a doorbell for a horn switch too :p

I have a bunch of CD audio internal connectors I use on my caseless rigs on my ghetto rack.. stick 2 short pieces of stiff wire into the open end and just squeeze them together to make your oun mometary swtich. and they are long enough to hang over the front of the top shelves so i dont have to reach my arm in and screw up the adjacent rig anymore. :eek:

Very Ghetto I think ... in the tradition of the master :D

/edit .... after i ran out of those cables, I just started cutting them in half to get 2 cables ... then just touch the 2 bare wires together ... althougj i have added a few cheap momentary swtiches to some of them since i don't like the bare wire ends hanging over the mobo

too lazy to make up my own cables due to my big fingers, lousy eyesight, and those tiny molex connectors :eek:

Last edited:
pscout said:
I have a bunch of CD audio internal connectors I use on my caseless rigs on my ghetto rack.. stick 2 short pieces of stiff wire into the open end and just squeeze them together to make your oun mometary swtich. and they are long enough to hang over the front of the top shelves so i dont have to reach my arm in and screw up the adjacent rig anymore. :eek:

Very Ghetto I think ... in the tradition of the master :D

/edit .... after i ran out of those cables, I just started cutting them in half to get 2 cables ... then just touch the 2 bare wires together ... althougj i have added a few cheap momentary swtiches to some of them since i don't like the bare wire ends hanging over the mobo

too lazy to make up my own cables due to my big fingers, lousy eyesight, and those tiny molex connectors :eek:

OMG! ZERG!

TEH MASTEA

thanks, super duper cheap and it works like a charm :p

jstutman said:
OMG! ZERG!

TEH MASTEA

thanks, super duper cheap and it works like a charm :p

Of course the ghetto master I was referring to was Ghettocomp ... i am just an apprentice (and lazy) :D

ghettocomp said:
one of the qualifications! True definition of Lazy does not mean you'll eventually do it. It only means it will get done now, and right so it never has to be done again :cool:

Like my computer closet is any indication. I am actually much better at work. :D

Yes ... sometimes I feel I am lazy cuz i don't do something right now ... and rationalize that is better (more efficient?) than redo'ing it later , and again, and again, and again, ...... :D

but then i find myself feeling stupid too when i realize how many times I have redone the same thing despite my laziness :D

Back