• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cache 512kbx2 or 1mbx2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Am I going to a see a large enough performance gain with the 1mb cache X2 over the 512kb version to warrant spending an extra $100?

I have overclocked in the past but it's not really my thing. No, I'm set on getting an X2, I want dual core. That is unless Intel is able to sway me in the next 4 months or so with something better, but I doubt it.

Unless you're doing hardcore multitasking, get the 512kbx2. You can always throw in a new 1mbx2 core once they come down in price a year from now when AM2 is mainstream :D

I would go with the 1mbx2 that way if you do decide to do a mild OC on it you will have pleanty of headroom.

Tough call, I am already dropping alot on the memory, mainboard (asus) plus I have to upgrade to a pci-e card (thinking about a 7800gt).

The 1Mb is better but not a whole lot better, depends on what it's worth to you. Is it worth a few more clams for a couple of points and barely if any noticable difference?

Back